1) oops - Strat forgot where they put these
13%
2) Oh, they are still out there, but you just can't see them
No votes
3) lost, gone, never to be seen again
28%
4) the ratings got locked when a couple of guys hijacked the posts with vitriol
6%
5) They are going to come back for x-mas!
3%
6) They must be planning to bring them back...or why would there be an advanced option for leagues
16%
7) Too tough to bring back...maybe they will be replaced by win %
9%
8) sorry - got no clue what happened to them
25%

Total votes : 32

• Author

hackra

What ever happened to manager ratings?

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:33 pm

It seems like years ago that we had manager ratings to follow. Does anyone know if these will ever come back?
Last edited by hackra on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radagast Brown

Re: What ever happened to manager ratings?

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Great point! I want to show off my winning percentage, playoff percentage and championships. I feel I am not getting my due propers from the community! Than again at least I am not dissed and (totally) dismissed like some (I will not mention). :D

Badjam

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 12:12 am

We had a thread about this a while back but it got out of control because strether ridiculed everyone that expressed that they like manager ratings. That thread got locked or deleted because not everyone was in agreement that only strether's opinion matters.

Outta Leftfield

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 1:44 am

My guess as to what happened (#1-3) followed by my suggestion about what to do about it (#4-6):

1. SOM tried to import the manager ratings from the old site and couldn't get it done because of conversion challenges.
2. That is in fact what SOM says happened:
NOTE: We've finished a basic import of your old teams from the 1969, and 2001-2005 season sets. Your teams' stat totals, W/L records, league standings, rosters and player stat totals are accounted for. We'll be proceeding to import the rest of the older sets (2006) to complete our records, after which we'll be able to restore our Manager Rating system. Thank you for your patience while we work through this extremely intricate process.

3. But, we've now been waiting way more than a year for manager ratings. I think they've given up on porting them in from the old site--either it was too hard, or they had other priorities, or both.
4. I think SOM has written off porting in the old ratings. I suggest that the right tactical move would be to start requesting that they create new ratings for managers based on solely records from the current website. We now have enough seasons played on this site that such records would be meaningful.
5. Clearly SOM does not pay much attention to what is written on these boards, but they do read and respond to emails.
6. So, what I would suggest is to start bombarding SOM with emails requesting that new manager ratings be created based on performance since the transfer to the SOM website. This is something they should be able to do without to much difficulty.
7. If SOM gets dozens of emails requesting manager ratings based on current performance, my guess is that they will feel the pressure and eventually respond.

I'm game to get going on this process. Would anyone else like to join in? Does anyone have a suggestion about the most effective email address to use to reach the powers that be at SOM?

OL

N Texas Widowmakers

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 am

I would prefer Blue participation ribbons to manager ratings so no one gets their feelings hurt. ;)

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 9:34 am

self-esteem uber alles.

bkeat23

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 am

My rating sucked, so I hacked the site and deleted all the info.

The Last Druid

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 11:07 am

Perhaps it is only a matter of time before He who must not be named posts on this thread and gets it locked down.

As I recall SOM had reported, what now seems like eons ago, that they had finished importing the data from the old site --after which NOTHING.

For me, the part that I miss is the updates they had made to the system toward the end of their tenure at TSN. Specifically, we got aggregate records for each team that played in each park, also as a function of salary cap. That was a very cool thing.

The actual manager ratings themselves were also useful but flawed. Obviously I should not have been ranked only #2, just because Nev obsessively played more teams. :P :mrgreen: But seriously, it was helpful to see at a glance an opposing managers win pct as well as the frequency with which they played ATG. It was also to TSN's benefit to exploit our innate competitiveness, I am sure that more than a few folks ended up buying more teams in a quest to "improve" their manager ratings. This was especially true for guys who looked to end up with the #1 ranking for a particular iteration of ATG.

Manager ratings seem like a win-win thing for SOM. Their failure to follow up with their stated intent to restore them is emblematic of their Lucy Van Pelt approach to customers, they don't just drop the ball, they yank it away without explanation.

The Last Druid

And another thing

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 11:16 am

that I really miss are the diamond dope actuals. I get that Adrian's interest in the online game has waned and that they are probably gone forever. What I don't get is why SOM doesn't offer them individually to each manager for the leagues that they played in only. It would be simplicity itself to provide each manager the aggregate actual stats for every player that plays in every league they joined, and to do so as functions of salary cap and stadium. I know for myself that this would encourage me to buy more teams, the larger the database of actuals, the more accuracy in predicting future performance of players and teams.

Valen

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 11:34 am

If we don't have manager ratings how can all those people create leagues that specify only managers with ratings just below their own? :lol:
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats