penngray

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Palmtana

penngray

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 1:40 am

I added a thread to the Strategy Forum/Newbie Advice thread that shows the origin of 20XX Keeper League rules.

The 2nd post says.... 1. To allow the live draft site, at the time penngray's, now diamond dope, ....

Seeing penngray's name flashed me back to the original TSN boards. 2004 or so. Before those that are archived. I had just discovered the online game, with no board game experience, so I mined those original forums for info. He was the best at giving advice.

Anyone else remember penngray?

andycummings65

Re: penngray

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 11:07 am

I do

mighty moose

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 11:34 am

Penngray started Barnstormers and kept the first ATG "records". When he disappeared, I took over both.

Hack Wilson

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 1:01 pm

I remember meeting Penngray at one of Bobby Moretti's Las Vegas Tournaments in the early 2000s. He was a generous-hearted fella as you note, and I believe he actually set up the entire IT system at least once if not more often for this head-to-head laptop computer tournament that was about three or so years running. (Others may have helped him out, tip of the hat to anyone I forgot to mention.) He was among the best, wish he were still playing. :)

Bunze0

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 5:29 pm

Penngray was the best he taught me a lot and how to build winning teams him and rob 55. Penngray loved the value of Donnie bush back in the day he was not scared of his old error rating. His advice helped me win Bobby's online tourney one year. Got the discs for puter. Signed Jim Bunnings autograph and tix to Hall of Fame ceremony year Rickey Henderson got in.

Hack Wilson

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 9:43 pm

Wow, you won won of those tourneys! I won one too -- Lou Gehrig went absolutely nuts on my tourney team. Not sure what years, or who else won other years, I could try to check but probably hard to know at this point. Like you, as for winning, I received uber gifts from Bobby, a Josh Gibson statuette, etc. WOW, he was an incredible life force flooding this community in good vibes. Bobby's era is a special time in the memory. :)

Bunze0

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 10:57 pm

Yes I was pretty happy I won. I wanted to go to Vegas for on site play. I heard he had limo picked guys up at airport. Must have been something

goffchile

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 4:57 pm

i remember him. He was definitely a nice guy and helpful. Learned a lot from him and Munich Man.

childsmwc

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 4:59 am

Speaking of Penngray and Bobby and Las Vegas. I recently found our group photo from one of those events. If I knew how to post a photo here I would scan it and share. It would be nice for me to document the names with the faces. I know a few, but can't remember most. There are 24 of us in the photo.

If I recall we maybe were playing with ATGII cards, that was how far back it goes. I do recall I was playing in Fenway '67 and won the first round beating out Harry Lime (Steve), which was simmed, but lost the next head to head round. I forget who i was playing but remember it was a deadball team, that hit and ran me to death. Was a great weekend.

Mark

LeGrandeOrange

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 7:09 pm

Penngray was one of the outstanding managers in the first generation of Strat on line... and he was always willing to offer advice if it was solicited.

That's one of the biggest changes from the early days to now. Managers were ALWAYS seeking help with their teams on the boards. That, of course, and all the political bickering that caused so much bad blood.

Penngray developed the dynamics of a live draft that finally got us away from just posting our picks on a thread on the boards. It was a huge step forward.

I can't remember why he left though? Must've been around 2006 or so? And I believe his name was/is (?) Doug?

Bobby was such a nice man. Unfortunately, he was not a very successful manager. He played 100's of teams and never seemed to figure out how to put together a winning one. To his credit, he just kept on playing again and again however.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats