Shohei Credit - Winter Mtg's started Monday

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Palmtana

Shohei Credit - Winter Mtg's started Monday

PostWed Nov 22, 2023 3:57 am

Take a guess on Shohei's Average Annual Value for his upcoming contract.

https://forum-365.strat-o-matic.com/com ... 5#p5910751
Last edited by Palmtana on Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hack Wilson

Re: Shohei Credit - Winter Mtg's start Monday

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 11:23 pm

Actually, to be a contrarian -- and I love the guy, but just being a GM here -- Ohtani is a bit overrated (as purely a hitter) and a huge risk pitching-wise. As we know due to his injury, he's a DH in the season ahead, no defensive or pitching value added whatsoever. DHs are not worth 40-50M. Beyond this year, who knows how well he will pitch, he's already 29, two major surgeries. I think his best years pitching are behind him. As for being a DH, Ohtani is roughly a similar lefty hitter to David Ortiz, .922 OPS career to .931 career. Very good, but not top of the charts salary-wise considering the lack of defense value, age and pitching forecast. Who knows.

andycummings65

Re: Shohei Credit - Winter Mtg's start Monday

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 9:16 pm

Hack Wilson wrote:Actually, to be a contrarian -- and I love the guy, but just being a GM here -- Ohtani is a bit overrated (as purely a hitter) and a huge risk pitching-wise. As we know due to his injury, he's a DH in the season ahead, no defensive or pitching value added whatsoever. DHs are not worth 40-50M. Beyond this year, who knows how well he will pitch, he's already 29, two major surgeries. I think his best years pitching are behind him. As for being a DH, Ohtani is roughly a similar lefty hitter to David Ortiz, .922 OPS career to .931 career. Very good, but not top of the charts salary-wise considering the lack of defense value, age and pitching forecast. Who knows.

Agreed.

Palmtana

Re: Shohei Credit - Winter Mtg's started Monday

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 11:47 am

The Winter Meetings are here. Deals will be made. Hopefully. Guess Shohei's AAV when he signs with the....Giants! Don't miss out on a chance for a credit. The AAV's that have been taken are listed at the bottom of the first post of this thread:

https://forum-365.strat-o-matic.com/com ... 99bd8bae29

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats