Diamond Dope

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mykeedee

Re: Diamond Dope

PostSun Aug 20, 2023 1:53 pm

The Dope is down again, I fear this may be the end for this resource!

LeGrandeOrange

PostMon Aug 21, 2023 2:12 pm

The site is up and running again... YEAH!

Is there anything that we can do as a community to ensure that this incredible resource does not disappear?

mighty moose

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 1:21 am

Some of us know Adrian well enough that we know his personal email. As we all know here, I try to notify him when the site goes down.

But a recent sighting of him in another thread does provide some strong words that he does not see a long range future for DD. And that he does not wish for it to be given to anyone else or that he wants to continue supporting the "19 year old code".

I think we should come to terms with the pending death of the site and move on, whenever that may be.

He has retired from his programming position and deserves his senior years. He no longer plays the online game.

MM

leeroyjenkins

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 4:50 pm

mighty moose wrote:Some of us know Adrian well enough that we know his personal email. As we all know here, I try to notify him when the site goes down.

But a recent sighting of him in another thread does provide some strong words that he does not see a long range future for DD. And that he does not wish for it to be given to anyone else or that he wants to continue supporting the "19 year old code".

I think we should come to terms with the pending death of the site and move on, whenever that may be.

He has retired from his programming position and deserves his senior years. He no longer plays the online game.

MM

I read that same post but I didn't catch the tone that would suggest that he doesn't want anyone else to do it either, and from the limited conversations I had with him in the past (we met up for beers a couple of times) I'd be surprised if he's that proprietary about it carrying on without him. If the opportunity came up for it to move to a new home where we no longer have to burden Adrien (I second the notion that he's long-since earned the right to sunset this part of his life) I'd be more than happy to add some funds to that movement.

If the folks that have his actual contact info are able to start this conversation with him, maybe we could start talking more formally about this in a proactive way instead of just waiting for it to die a slow painful death?

Palmtana

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 5:16 pm

So everyone is on the same page, here's his quote:

agabriel wrote:I logged a ticket with the internet service provider. So, hopefully, it's back online soon.

Just know that Diamond Dope runs on 19 year old code. It will not be re-written or ported to another server. Once it finally dies, that's going to be all she wrote.

I appreciate everyone who Dopes and I wish you all the best in your SOM endeavors.

tdkearns

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 6:55 pm

Agree. There is lots of data that I’m sure some expert could harvest. Happy to contribute too.

leeroyjenkins wrote:
mighty moose wrote:Some of us know Adrian well enough that we know his personal email. As we all know here, I try to notify him when the site goes down.

MM

I read that same post but I didn't catch the tone that would suggest that he doesn't want anyone else to do it either, and from the limited conversations I had with him in the past (we met up for beers a couple of times) I'd be surprised if he's that proprietary about it carrying on without him. If the opportunity came up for it to move to a new home where we no longer have to burden Adrien (I second the notion that he's long-since earned the right to sunset this part of his life) I'd be more than happy to add some funds to that movement.

If the folks that have his actual contact info are able to start this conversation with him, maybe we could start talking more formally about this in a proactive way instead of just waiting for it to die a slow painful death?

mighty moose

PostThu Aug 24, 2023 10:39 am

I sent Adrian an e-mail, one last attempt at "what can be done" but I have not received a reply. I didn't really expect one but I did make the effort.

MM

leeroyjenkins

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 4:40 pm

Much appreciated MM.

mighty moose

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 11:13 am

There are some long time vets here that know Adrian a little better than I do - presumably with a phone number access. Maybe they will feel inclined to get more information than I was able to. I offered to host and pay for the web site and hit up my "coder" friends if and when tweaks may be needed. But as of now, I am still being ghosted.

Long live the dopeheads.

MM

centerfielder17

PostSat Aug 26, 2023 11:19 am

I asked my son, who is a software developer, about the DD code. 19 years old (the code, not Al :-) ) and written in an old language. If Adrian is not able to pass it on, maybe we can recreate it?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats