SP vs SP*

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

jlt53

SP vs SP*

PostSat May 16, 2020 12:03 pm

i appreciate the work that went into the repricing and I think it did help level the playing field.
One thing I have noticed is that the new prices seemed to have changed the balance -- at least for me -- between SP and SP*. We all have seen the big changes for the Pinieros, Henrys, Durens, etc. who were previously chosen in most every league. But when I have been looking for lower-priced SP guys who I used a lot who weren't the most popular choices, many of their prices have gone up as well, some a lot.
Meanwhile, I haven't noticed the same increases in my favorite SP*s. In fact, many of their prices have gone down a bit.
Anyone else noticed this? I am sure there are still bargain SPs out there (somewhere), but now it seems a lot easier to use SP*s.

lanier64

Re: SP vs SP*

PostSat May 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I agree. Plus I have always preferred four man rotations.

Outta Leftfield

PostSat May 16, 2020 2:54 pm

It seems to me that 5-man rotations have been virtually priced out of the market, except perhaps at the 200M+ level. OTOH—while the prices on elite *SPs has gone up, jit53 has observed correctly that many mid and low priced *SPs have held steady or gone down.
Perhaps the price hikes on five-day SPs may have gone a little too far, but on the whole, I'm looking forward to playing 60M, 80M, and 100M leagues with the newly priced *SPs. In my view, the game at moderate salary levels had gotten rather stale and static--how much fun could it be to play in a series of leagues dominated by Ryne Duren and a handful of super-relievers.

Under ATG9, I think we'll see the game refreshed with the emergence of new and newly priced players--which will foster new and interesting strategies.

FrankieT

PostSat May 16, 2020 6:42 pm

It is cool to shake things up as we all find our Easter eggs in the grass.

I previously preferred 5-man if only on principle so that the fifth spot is not a waste of .50-.60 salary.

But I have also noticed some of those midpriced non * guys are not quite as economical now.

I have also toyed with mixed * and non * with sharply decreased salary at non-* threshold approaching the bottom. Tricky to get value there--but it can be done if you match the missed starts from the lower half in your calcs. Basically need to have a sharp drop off from the * to non star guys. Have only done it a couple times basically to account for certain guys I wanted who weren't available. Once with a 97 win finals team. Once not great.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats