WHY limit the pre 1900 players to 2nd tier?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mighty moose

Re: WHY limit the pre 1900 players to 2nd tier?

PostTue May 12, 2020 2:46 pm

SOM and I have been exchanging emails on this subject and our wishes to get the default set changed to all players.

Right at this point they want to put out a poll and see how that goes. I have explained to them that the inconvenience that I went through on the Barnstormers tour of having to screen shot how to find the ALL ERAS plus the frustration of STILL up to 30 players telling me they “cant find” our leagues is the final straw for me. I wont continue on if I have to go through this for the rest of the events.

I support the decision of the Barnstormers Board and others including Druid, Salty, Steve F and unnamed others who have expressed their frustration with this clearly unpopular decision. If and when a poll comes out let’s hope it’s fair and let’s all VOTE ! I will direct the entire Barnstormers membership to vote. I, like most of you, feel that all players should be the default and any thinning of the set should be done at the lower subset level. Thanks for your support. –

Mighty Moose

nomadbrad

PostTue May 12, 2020 4:43 pm

AMEN

freeman

PostTue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm

While I think there is merit in the argument that pre-1900 players not be used in the main set...all the intensity and emotion seems to be on the other side. I dont have much skin in the game--it's not going to be a big deal to me if pre-1900 cards are included--so I think I will go along with it...

Salty

PostTue May 12, 2020 10:38 pm

mighty moose wrote:SOM and I have been exchanging emails on this subject and our wishes to get the default set changed to all players.

Right at this point they want to put out a poll and see how that goes. I have explained to them that the inconvenience that I went through on the Barnstormers tour of having to screen shot how to find the ALL ERAS plus the frustration of STILL up to 30 players telling me they “cant find” our leagues is the final straw for me. I wont continue on if I have to go through this for the rest of the events.

I support the decision of the Barnstormers Board and others including Druid, Salty, Steve F and unnamed others who have expressed their frustration with this clearly unpopular decision. If and when a poll comes out let’s hope it’s fair and let’s all VOTE ! I will direct the entire Barnstormers membership to vote. I, like most of you, feel that all players should be the default and any thinning of the set should be done at the lower subset level. Thanks for your support. –

Mighty Moose

THANK YOU MOOSE FOR THIS!
They should've put out a poll prior to making this decision.
BTW- is there any truth to the Joe the Jet thing or is that wrong?

mighty moose

PostWed May 13, 2020 1:25 am

Sorry I was not involved in the repricing at all. Don't know who was or was not involved.

FrankieT

PostThu May 14, 2020 9:07 pm

tmfw30 wrote:
FrankieT wrote:The rest of the wrangling over era legitimacy doesn't matter. All cards can be fun.

Point is the default should be all, and then you trim down from there. The BS tourney may help push this in the right direction.

To underscore the very reasonable FrankieT, we all have our preferences, opinions and sensibilities. They vary widely. Making the default all eras allows a nice broad base, and any of us can choose to refine it with the custom options.

Hey that's the champ speaking! Listen up :)

mighty moose

PostThu May 14, 2020 10:11 pm

FrankieT wrote:The BS tourney may help push this in the right direction.

It did, they're changing it. We can bury this here and I will unsticky the voting topics. Thanks to everyone who voted, whatever your opinion was.

Salty

PostThu May 14, 2020 10:13 pm

mighty moose wrote:
FrankieT wrote:The BS tourney may help push this in the right direction.

It did, they're changing it. We can bury this here and I will unsticky the voting topics. Thanks to everyone who voted, whatever your opinion was.

YES!!!!

STEVE F

PostFri May 15, 2020 1:04 pm

I voted to include them, even though I do not like these players. I really have no dog in this fight, and in the end, believe that ALL of the cards should be in ATG (the default set)

Salty

PostFri May 15, 2020 5:29 pm

STEVE F wrote:I voted to include them, even though I do not like these players. I really have no dog in this fight, and in the end, believe that ALL of the cards should be in ATG (the default set)

Agreed. although I don't let my dog fight- shes far too kind, and dog fighting is a cruel thing to do.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats