Diamond dope and other simulators

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Last Druid

Re: Diamond dope and other simulators

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 pm

Gee. I guess I'm old school. I almost never consult any tools when throwing together a draft card. Just do it from memory, although I do consult Jet's ratings for value etc but that is more scouting than a tool I consult during team construction. Whenever new cards come out, I also run them by diamond dope, but that is a one off thing. I suppose I could be much more analytical as most of the guys who have contributed to this thread evidently are but I prefer to spend my free time reading and playing/studying chess. I'm basically a synthetic thinker, and integrating large amounts of information is pretty much effortless, as is its retention. I guess you could say that I have this internalized database of the set which provides the basis for the intuitive feel that guides many of my decisions. So most of my time allocated to SOM is spent playing and not immersed in the world of sabermetrics.

FrankieT

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 11:32 pm

Can identify with the style of TLD's approach, though at a much smaller scale and easy in my case since I don't play too often. OTOH, I could imagine TLD figuratively selecting players with the left hand while moving chess pieces with the right (or maybe literally :lol: ). I obsess and immerse singularly in the matchup dynamics during preseason maybe even more than the cards themselves.

Diamond Dope is great, but I can't remember the last time I've used it. I just like ground truth based on first principles. For me, it's like digging with bare hands and feeling the earth firsthand.

Really, there are only so many ways to characterize a card by purpose and environment, so at some point they all get grouped into performance classes for me. I like the card columns themselves; looking at how many OBs, natural hits, XBH, types of outs, ballpark effects, asymmetries compared to other cards, etc just at a glance

I also have used JTJ ratings but have only updated once. They are well worth it IMO. With some exceptions, it usually confirms what one knows intuitively--but it is a heck of a lot faster when a bunch of new cards drop, or when sifting through a player set seeking certain characteristics. I think that's where it is extreme value-added.

tmfw30

PostSat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 pm

I have decent success and I do nothing more than eyeball it and build knowledge from trial and error. More out of laziness than principle. I actually rely (gasp) on the colored bars more than anything else. And I look closely at the apparent randos that the best players use. I still can't read a damn card properly.

nicholasbarella

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 1:00 am

What are JTJ ratings?

coachprbb

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 8:48 am

JTJ is Joe the Jet....where to find them is the true question.

FrankieT

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 1:01 pm

Rather than post a link to his page, here is email if you want to contact him directly:
joethejet4@gmail.com

nicholasbarella

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 12:32 am

Thanks appreciate it!! :)

wbonn63

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much like I suspected it is probably a 50/50 split on use of sims and not.

I hope everyone is well out there.

B.B.

joethejet

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:51 pm

coachprbb wrote:JTJ is Joe the Jet....where to find them is the true question.

Hi coach,

You can find more info on the site listed in my signature below. Or, if you have any questions feel free to email me at joethejet4@gmail.com.

I don't pretend it's the best way to evaluate, but I think it's a good way and I do think you have to have *some* sort of formula/process to be good at this game. As showed by this thread there are a lot of ways to do that.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

agabriel

PostTue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm

The sad truth is that Diamond Dope was conceived as a way to spend less time with my ex-wife.

Thanks for doping, or not. It's all good!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats