Hall of Fame voters

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

supertyphoon

Hall of Fame voters

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 pm

I'd hate to be THAT guy, the only one that didn't vote for Jeter. Too much of the wrong kind of attention!

I actually admire somebody with enough chutzpah to not go along with the rest of the crowd, if you don't (for whatever reason) agree with the other voters.

FrankieT

Re: Hall of Fame voters

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 pm

Yeah I know right?...that seems like a principle vote. It's fine. Who cares...he deserves to be in and got in. Some of the voters are tools.

I realize Jeter did not have the convincing stats to be a unanimous selection, and maybe some would even say not on the first ballot if you use modern metrics. But it is so difficult to value his worth on a team. His affect on the tone and tenor of every spring training, every season, every game, every at bat, the dugout, the team meal...hard to quantify. I just feel fortunate to have seen him play at the park and on the tube. Was nothing like it.

I am a biased Jeter sycophant. I admit it. Sorry. Tough to be a Yankee fan in the post-Jeter era. Or the pre-Jeter era for that matter sometimes ;) But under Gene Michael's player development, they developed a core of a dynasty. A real treat juxtaposed against today's era. They could pitch, play enough defense, and manufacture runs.
Last edited by FrankieT on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andycummings65

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Of course, the writer who left him off could have wanted to vote for 10 other guys, knowing Jeter was going to be voted in anyway.

FrankieT

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:44 pm

andycummings65 wrote:Of course, the writer who left him off could have wanted to vote for 10 other guys, knowing Jeter was going to be voted in anyway.

Great point. Didn't even consider that

Palmtana

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 pm

The identity of the voter who left Jeter off their ballot is unknown and it will remain unknown unless that person reveals their ballot publicly.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/base ... other-him/

Joestradamus

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 1:08 pm

Whoever didn't vote for Jeter should have his vote taken away. The job of a Hall of Fame voter is to vote for the players they feel should be in the Hall of Fame. Period.
However you try and spin the rationale behind their non-vote, that person felt that Jeter was not one of the 10 best players eligible for the HOF this year. Which is BS.

Chompsky

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 1:41 pm

I'm surprised so many folks voted for him first ballot. Jeter was not a great fielder (poor range) and had limited power. Was no saint either--remember the tax issue? I only bring that up because so many fans want to canonize him.

Jeter fans should be pleased. It's an amazing accomplishment to make the hof. Even as a yankee hater, I have to concede he was a great player and worthy of the hof.
Chompsky

STEVE F

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Chompsky wrote:I'm surprised so many folks voted for him first ballot. Jeter was not a great fielder (poor range) and had limited power. Was no saint either--remember the tax issue? I only bring that up because so many fans want to canonize him.

Jeter fans should be pleased. It's an amazing accomplishment to make the hof. Even as a yankee hater, I have to concede he was a great player and worthy of the hof.
Chompsky

This.

Mumford

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 4:11 pm

Chompsky wrote:I'm surprised so many folks voted for him first ballot. Jeter was not a great fielder (poor range) and had limited power. Was no saint either--remember the tax issue? I only bring that up because so many fans want to canonize him.

Chompsky

Agreed. I wouldn't put him first ballot either. NY Bias.

MFL536

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 1:39 pm

how does a player who is 6th on hits list all time with 3465 hits not be a 1st ballot HOF player ? the 100% vote doesn't really matter to me my guess is that it is someone who wanted to vote for someone else and knew Jeter was a shoo in.If it was someone who didn't vote for him because he was a yankee or something else then that voter should be removed.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats