Fact or Fiction

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Re: Fact or Fiction

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Having to ride a train versus having to face pitchers who can throw 95 mile cutters, I 'll take the train and face the pitchers of Ruth's era ( most of whom would not make a minor league roster of today).

Next the old white guys will be saying Bronko Nagurski was better than Todd Gurley..... And Bob Cusey would school LeBron James.

Hold on to that white privilege, fellas, you will need it.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Suppose the nation wasn't half as big, and blacks, Hispanics,Asians and any foreigners were not allowed to play.

How many AA players would be in MLB, and how many guys working at the Budweiser plant would be playing AA ball?

Get real, just for a minute.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Just out of curiosity what percentage of today's MLB players would be considered "white"?

Also, worldwide how many kids play high school baseball today, compared with 100 years ago.

Do the math, use the logic, and math wins again.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 3:01 pm

This is like the old white man who still thinks Jim Thorpe was the greatest athlete of all time.

rburgh

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 10:01 am

Jim may well have been the best all-around athlete of all time, but he wasn't white. There's a good chance, though, that the best all-around athlete of all time is Roger Federer. Playing tennis at that level for that long requires amazing agility, quickness, stamina, and eye to hand coordination. And then there are Serena and Martina - who says the best athlete of all time has to be a man? Speaking of that, maybe it was Babe Didrikson (Zaharias) who won two Olympic gold medals in track and field and was a terrific golfer.

kenhutchings

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 4:23 pm

I just looked up the Homerun log for Babe Ruth from Baseball Reference to see which pitchers he feasted on.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... thba01&t=b
Rube Walberg surrendered a total of 17 homeruns to the Sultan of Swat.

A trivial fact that intrigued me was that in spite of Yankee Stadium being known as the House that Ruth built, he actually hit more home runs on the road (367) than at home (347) during his career.

The pitcher who surrendered the most homeruns to Hank Aaron? It was Don Drysdale, with 17. I wonder how many times Drysdale brushed back Aaron during their encounters.

STEVE F

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 pm

kenhutchings wrote:I just looked up the Homerun log for Babe Ruth from Baseball Reference to see which pitchers he feasted on.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... thba01&t=b
Rube Walberg surrendered a total of 17 homeruns to the Sultan of Swat.

A trivial fact that intrigued me was that in spite of Yankee Stadium being known as the House that Ruth built, he actually hit more home runs on the road (367) than at home (347) during his career.

The pitcher who surrendered the most homeruns to Hank Aaron? It was Don Drysdale, with 17. I wonder how many times Drysdale brushed back Aaron during their encounters.

I'd say at least 17 :lol:

nomadbrad

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 7:12 pm

I've been saying for years that if Roy Hobbs would have been alive today, Memo wouldn't have missed him with the gun (women are much better shots nowadays) and the Knights would have lost the pennant.....of course Max Mercy would be unemployed, since Baseball Weekly went belly up a decade earlier leaving Max nowhere to go.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats