Defensive Substitution Question ... Answered ... Kind Of!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Defensive Substitution Question ... Answered ... Kind Of!

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 am

I have 4 players set to be defensive substitutes. Last night in a game my team takes a 2 run lead in the top of the 12th, but HAL only inserts ONE of the four players as a defensive substitution in the bottom of the 12th.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/428362/10

Any one have a clue as to why that would be????
Last edited by egvrich on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

mykeedee

Re: Defensive Substitution Question ...

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 12:04 pm

It's because HAL doesn't like your team! :evil:

Really, HAL rarely seems to put in all defensive subs listed, I suspect that the programming is faulty. I have just about given up on HAL inserting all of the defensive subs when 4 are listed (although I still list them), he seems to be more effective when only 1 or 2 are listed. Maybe you can pose the question to Mr. Garcia and he will cover it in one of his "informative" blogs...right after we get some action on the new player additions. ;) :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike

egvrich

Re: Defensive Substitution Question ... Paging John Garcia

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 3:26 pm

John,

Just wondering if you can shed any light on this situation?

Thanks!!

andycummings65

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 pm

email them. You should get an explanation.

onlinegamesupport@strat-o-matic.com

Valen

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 1:53 am

You have to email them. Otherwise it is like cutting down a tree in the middle of the forest.

If you give a link to the team and what your substitution list is some here might be able to make a reasonable guess.

egvrich

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:14 am

So, I got an answer back from Support ...

When you set players to be your defensive replacements, the computer manager will consider using them from the 7th inning on if you have the lead. The probability of them being used is based on how close the game is but the players will not automatically enter the game. To have them enter every time, check the players currently in the game to be Removed for Defensive Replacement under Hitter Preferences. This setting will always remove the player from the game at the start of an inning if 1) it is the 8th inning or later, 2) his team is winning, and 3) he is due to play the field in the inning.

Sincerely,
Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online

From my experience, the problem is that if you set a player to be removed for defensive replacement, he will be removed no matter what and that is when you get crazy stuff happening like infielders and catchers getting subbed into the outfield as the worst possible rating, etc.

STEVE F

Re: Defensive Substitution Question ... Answered ... Kind Of

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 12:14 pm

You're right, but that's how I usually do it. For a longer injury, you can always go in and change those settings.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats