Geoff's golden era II NOW DRAFTING IN THE ILC FORUM

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Geoff's golden era II NOW DRAFTING IN THE ILC FORUM

PostSat Nov 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Geoff's golden era 24 team theme league II (new league)

This is the second Golden Era league. I'm really pleased that so many liked the first one, and have said they'd like to do it again already!

I like to be open to suggestions from all of the players, and I try to listen and build in good changes where I think it improves the league. So please feel free to make suggestions.

My goal is to recreate the feeling of that era in major league baseball (i.e. 1969 to 1993). It's a bit of reminiscing on my part. I started following baseball around 1969, and it was the MLB that I knew and loved for so many years. (I don't dislike the subsequent era, but it was what I grew up with, that's all!) Edit for the second time around - we will use the full wildcard playoff structure this time, so 8 teams will make the playoffs.

This league is not a keeper league. It's a theme league. There isn't any commitment beyond this one season.

We'll start the sign up sheet now (many will be returning, so if you are a newbie to this league get your name in quickly!)

We will be using ATG post WW2 set, with the exception that you can only use player cards from the years 1968 to 1995, inclusive. STRAT HAS CREATED A SPECIAL CARD SET FOR THIS LEAGUE, under ATG "shuffle the deck", "1968-1995" here:

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/pl ... rowse/3818

I included the years 1968, 1994 and 1995 to broaden the player cards available. This means that the new players for the 1994 Montreal Expos will also be included in the player pool for this league. There are enough cards extra for a decent free agent pool.

It will be a salary cap league, with a $100 million cap for each team. We will use the DH (NL franchises can pick up a DH through free agency). Each franchise must use one of it's own real life ballparks from 1968 to 1995, for that particular franchise.

There will be a draft to select real life teams from that era. For this second version of this league, the bottom 12 teams from the first league will have a random order selection for the first 12 picks. Picks 13-24 will be in reverse order of finish from the last league. New participants will slot into one of the departed managers slots. ("The franchise draft").

Then, there will be a 5 round draft for special player selections ("the player draft"). The 5 round player draft will not be serpentine, and it will be in the same order as the franchise draft.

In the 5 round player draft, you can only draft players who were carded to your team, OR players who were carded to the 2 franchises not drafted by any manager. Once drafted in the 5 round player draft, you own the rights to that player for the autodraft. However, with respect to players who have ATG cards for more than one team in this player set, no team can suffer the loss of more than 3 players carded to their team before the end of round 1 of the player draft; no more than 5 players before the end of round 2 of the player draft, and not more than 7 for the entire 5 round draft. If a team loses 7 players in the draft, they can make an **immediate** additional pick, right after the pick in which they lost their 7th dual carded player.

Roster restrictions -

1. At least 15 players must be carded to your own franchise for one of the years between 1968 and 1995 inclusive, at all times. You can use (and draft) a different "card year" for that player - i.e. other than the year that he played for your franchise - as long as he played and was carded to your team in the ATG8 set for any year between 1968 and 1995 inclusive. These will be referred to as "core franchise players".

2. Your initial autodraft must contain the 5 players drafted in the player draft. These players should be placed at the top of your autodraft order (spots 1-5 on your draft order).

3. The first remaining draft order spots on your autodraft (i.e. 6 and subsequent) must be used first to obtain your 15 required core players for your franchise. Once you have filled up your 15 core players, the remaining spots on your autodraft order can be used for non-core players that you would like to draft as "free agents". This will be on the honor system. It is advisable to print out a copy of your autodraft draft priority ranking list before joining the league, so that you can show it later in the event of any dispute.

Division allotment - divisions will be filled as much as possible in the same historical divisions as they had in MLB history, with the primary divisional allocation being based on the earliest division allotments. If there are uneven division allocations based on the franchises drafted, the commissioner (me) will assign divisions in a way that is consistent with MLB history, in his sole discretion. I will take suggestions though.

You must also use a ballpark that was used by your team during the years 1968-1995.

Resolving autodraft issues:

1. If a player picks someone who was already selected during the 5 round player draft ("protected players"), they must delete the unlawfully drafted protected player. The protected player may be claimed back by the original owner either during waivers or during the post-waiver frenzy, but must be claimed back by the original owner by midnight EST on the day of the waiver draft. If unclaimed by that time, the player is no longer a protected player and may be acquired by a free agent "add" by any other player, after midnight (12:01 or later). If there is more than one unlawful pick by the same manager, then the offending manager must trade the player to the manager who owns the rights to the protected player, in exchange for a player of that other manager's choosing. That "substituted player" becomes a protected player to that manager in the same way, until 12:01 (just after midnight) EST on the day of (technically following the day of) the waiver draft.

2. If a player is unable to acquire the required 15 core players through the autodraft, they must use their first waiver draft picks to acquire enough core players to bring them up to the 15 requirement. If there are salary cap issues, the manager must organize their roster through the waiver process and the following frenzy in order to get their 15 core players as quickly as possible, and before any other free agent transactions. It may be strategically advisable to attempt to autodraft more than 15 core players, in order to maximize your strategic freedom during the waiver draft (i.e. instead of having to potentially use a few of the first rounds of the waiver draft to pick more "core" players.

3. Please note that there are no rules about autodraft priority in this league. So, if a particular hitter or pitcher is carded to more than 1 team that is a franchise in this league, then it's "first come, first serve" through the autodraft, (except any players drafted in the player draft on the boards, which belong solely to the manager that drafted them on the boards). There is no reference to the cumulative games played for each franchise, for example, to determine which franchise owns the player's rights. In fact, because there can be at least 9 free agent (non-core) players for each franchise, "core players" can be legitimately scooped up by an opposing manager during the autodraft (except - see draft order rules above).

4. From point #3 above, it follows that some managers may choose to use the 5 round player draft to select some of their core players that they dearly want to protect. So, the 5 round player draft isn't just for free agents or non-core players - it can be used for core players as well. The 5 round player draft selections can only include players that are "core players" for your franchise, or "free agents" that are from the franchises that were not picked in the franchise draft.

5. If there are any disputes, they will be resolved by the commissioner (me) in the commissioner's sole discretion, after hearing any arguments from the 2 (or more) parties to the dispute. The players must execute the instructions from the commissioner. The commissioner may take into account any suggestions as to how to execute the resolution of the dispute. If the dispute arises after the opening day for the season (game 1), the players may have to suffer salary cap penalties if the resolution involves adds or drops (although trades might assist in the resolution of the dispute).

Please note that the 1968-1971 Washington Senators player cards will be treated as Texas Rangers player cards for the purposes of that Texas Rangers franchise (i.e. the franchise relocated to Texas, and was really the same franchise).

I'm open to suggestions for improvements in the theme league rules and rosters!

If you would like to play in this league, please sign up here:

1. keyzick
2. Davesodu
3. Crimson
4. Falcon29
5. Paul_Long71 (and thanks Paul for all of your great help!)
6. Mike/Rube
7. CTStough
8. ycbill
9. Palerydr2.0 (I think he's in)
10. Rosie2167
11. dinsdale
12. andycummings65
13. rolandzeut
14. Yountfan
15. buzz082308
16. Mr Baseball World (I think)
17. Spider 67
18. ScumbyJr
Last edited by gbrookes on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 62 times in total.
Last edited by gbrookes on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDWard

Re: Geoff's golden era 24 team theme league II (new league)

PostSat Nov 14, 2015 7:22 pm

1. keyzick
2. Davesodu
3. Crimson
4. Falcon29
6. Mike/Rube
7. CTStough
8. ycbill
10. Rosie2167
11. dinsdale
12. andycummings65
13. rolandzeut
14. Yountfan
15. buzz082308
17. Spider 67
18. ScumbyJr
19. BDWard

MARCPELLETIER

PostSat Nov 14, 2015 7:52 pm

1. keyzick
2. Davesodu
3. Crimson
4. Falcon29
6. Mike/Rube
7. CTStough
8. ycbill
10. Rosie2167
11. dinsdale
12. andycummings65
13. rolandzeut
14. Yountfan
15. buzz082308
17. Spider 67
18. ScumbyJr
19. BDWard
20. MarcP

Let's see if I had this straight: I will draft the 22nd franchise (3rd best record) AND I will draft the 22nd player? So not only will I have one of the weakest team, I will also lose up to the 3 best players of the team? Quite a challenge, but we're ready for the task

CTStough

PostSat Nov 14, 2015 11:22 pm

Is this the draft order for Franchises?

And won't we be switching the order for the player draft? (first will go last?)

Davesodu

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 1:10 am

CTStough wrote:And won't we be switching the order for the player draft? (first will go last?)

I think we have to do this. I am in line for a top 12 pick so it would help me but giving the top franchise the top free agent pick doesn't seem right. The Reds or Red Sox or whoever don't need that #1 pick as much as the Padres or Indians.

Paul_Long71

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 1:11 am

that's what I've been saying too. Geoff, I really think you need a different (reverse) order for the player draft other wise the guy picking the weakest franchise also will have players taken off his roster as well. those weaker franchises have to be able to at least lock up 1 stud.

of course another twist would be to have a randomizer for the player draft....that might be pretty cool.

FALCON29

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 8:48 am

Paul_Long71 wrote:that's what I've been saying too. Geoff, I really think you need a different (reverse) order for the player draft other wise the guy picking the weakest franchise also will have players taken off his roster as well. those weaker franchises have to be able to at least lock up 1 stud.

of course another twist would be to have a randomizer for the player draft....that might be pretty cool.

I agree with whatever Paul says.

dinsdale

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 1:22 pm

The order of finish and the initial team draft position are strongly correlated - without a reverse order the addition of Frank Thomas to the likely #1 pick Reds would make them an even more solid favorite!

Paul_Long71

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 pm

1. keyzick
2. Davesodu
3. Crimson
4. Falcon29
6. Mike/Rube
7. CTStough
8. ycbill
10. Rosie2167
11. dinsdale
12. andycummings65
13. rolandzeut
14. Yountfan
15. buzz082308
17. Spider 67
18. ScumbyJr
19. BDWard
20. MarcP
21. pdixon0101 (sent me text asking to sign him up)

YountFan

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 9:19 pm

dinsdale wrote:The order of finish and the initial team draft position are strongly correlated - without a reverse order the addition of Frank Thomas to the likely #1 pick Reds would make them an even more solid favorite!

I have to agree with. In had the #23 pick last time and Thomas made my Phillies a contender. A reverse order FA draft needs to be seriously considered.
Posted by the real YountFan
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats