Did a online format to the board game cards

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Jack16

Did a online format to the board game cards

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 9:56 pm

I had purchased a set of 36 teams from the late 60's,70's and early 80's.( Board game cards). I purchased that 10 years ago, along with a few other older teams. I had started my own league playing solo mostly. I had a set up 4 divisions, of 10 teams per division. 20 National and 20 American league.

Working full time and not a lot of time, I ended up playing for 5 to 6 years off and on and not even close to completing a 162 game schedule. Not even sure how many games that would be to complete.

I also hand kept all the stats so it took twice as long to play a game then keep the stats and lineups daily. A lot of time. After the online mystery sets online came out, I decided to trash my season, and re start with a Mystery card format with the cards I had.

I have played many Stratomatic online seasons and have a blast doing so. Having all the stats and numbers right there for me, I decided to do a Mystery set board game with all the 40 teams. I broke it up into the same format as the online does. $80 million salary. I looked at everyone one of my 40 teams and rated every card like it was online. It took a very long time, but I have just finished and ready to start a new season. Some of the players in my set were not in the HAL system, but I did my best to get the salary for each as best I could.

Has anyone ever tried doing something like this with there past teams for the board game format? I only have changed a few minor rules if I were to play head to head with someone in a tourney. This is only to make it more realistic.

1. If a starter gives up more than 6 runs, he must be taken out. ( Generally HAL does that too )

2. Relief pitchers can only pitch the amount of innings related to there individual card. ( I rated that on how much they pitched in relief that particular year) 1 to 3 innings.

I tweeked that because... ( I remember back in the day playing friends, and they would leave a started in for 9 innings no matter what, or sometimes put a short reliever in for 6 innings).....crazy.

As of now created 15 American league teams and 15 National league teams. I drafted them with a number of fun options. Example, 1. I have a few power teams, but below average pitching. 2. above average pitching, bur below average hitting. 3. Average for all 25 players ect.

I have a dozen of combinations of twists, that if I am playing with a friend then they can pick a team that team that interests them. All of the teams are averaged out the same since there is a $80 million salary cap.

Like I said this is just to make it more realistic. I didn't want to mess with the rules per say, and the fun of Stratomatic the way it was suppose to be . I'll give it a try once I add a few more teams. Any thoughts to make it even better?

bontomn

Re: Did a online format to the board game cards

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 11:09 pm

That's a unique idea. Hope it goes well. Before I discovered the online game, I replayed a number of entire 154-game seasons with the dice and cards. Great fun. 1930 and 1941 were my favorites and both came close to matching the actual standings in both leagues. Tried not to use players until their major league entry, which hurt the Cardinals (no Stan Musial until the last 26 games). Wonder if Strat would ever issue a 1930 Johnny Hodapp (Indians' second baseman) card. Talk about one-season wonders!

rburgh

Re: Did a online format to the board game cards

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 7:17 am

Hodapp had quite an interesting career. He debuted at 19, finished his age 27 season hitting .311 in 115 games, and was traded to a AAA team over the winter. Later that off-season, he was traded to a lower level minor league team, where he saw limited playing time. So he retired, went into the family undertaking business, and lived to be 74.

He had a bad ankle after breaking it in spring training of his 2nd season, and also a "trick knee" that would sometimes give out in the field. So he was a defensive liability, with a stable family business to fall back on. When he was unable to make a major league roster anymore, he just walked away.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats