Not ATG, Not Even Baseball but More

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Maxie Minoso

Not ATG, Not Even Baseball but More

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 6:09 pm

I learned some time ago there's more to Doug Glanville than we see in ATG. Here's another example:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michaellevin/shoveling-while-black-mlb_b_8209878.html

Maxie

bontomn

Re: Not ATG, Not Even Baseball but More

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Great post! Pleased to learn that I have more in common with Doug Glanville than a love for this game.

muellerinwesttn

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 11:46 am

We're i'm from that seems pretty odd. I had assumed most, if not all, states did not allow extra-judicial district enforcement. I'm surprised Connecticut did not have that on the books already.

Valen

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Reading the article I am a little confused about the initial encounter. Is there some place in this country where there is a law against shoveling snow? Or against shoveling snow for payment?

Also, later in the article it quotes how many black men have been killed in 2015. That stat would mean more if the author also posted the stats for how many of various other races have been killed. Or if the author quoted stats on what percentage of officers have been injured/killed by various races. Recently here in the metroplex an officer allowed an unarmed suspect to get too close, initiate a confrontation taking the officers gun and beating him with it. This did not make national news. Had the officer got the drop on the suspect and shot him it would have generated another of these officer shoots unarmed man headlines.

So I differentiate between many of the shootings that have been in the news because in most of those incidents the person killed was in the process of breaking the law or being aggressive toward the officer. Based on this article that was not the case here obviously. Glanville was correct though that responding to being questioned in a confrontational manner might have escalated in to a bad situation with a tragic ending. But that could be true of anyone of any race responding to an officer in a confrontational manner. In this case a simple no, I am shoveling snow in front of my own house said respectfully and whole thing should have ended. If not then that would have been newsworthy.

I have been in a situation like this myself. I have twice been stopped by police and questioned with my car being searched. Once the provocation for stopping me was to let me know I was following a semi truck too close. The second was because I pulled off in to a rest stop and the officer said he thought it was because I might be avoiding him. Both times my car was searched. But I am not going to play the race card on either incident. I respected the authority of the officer and cooperated. Neither situation ended poorly as I was doing nothing illegal meaning the searches uncovered nothing.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats