Why does winning the division net me the #4 playoff slot?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

honestiago

Why does winning the division net me the #4 playoff slot?

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 10:47 am

Won my East division with 87 wins.

Central division wild card team has 86 wins.

Yet, here I am, on the road, against the 103 win team. Why? Because the WC is from the same division as the 103 win team, I suppose? I feel I SHOULD be on the road against the 93-win team from the west. Sure, the WC team was in a "tougher" division, but I have a better record. Seems unjust, someone.

Don't get me wrong. Judging by run differential, we're barely better than WC team. But wins are wins, and we have more. Run differntial may only be 4 better, but we ARE better. So, playoff seeding is off somewhere, if you ask me.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/427610

andycummings65

Re: Why does winning the division net me the #4 playoff slot

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 11:58 am

The Wild Card plays the division winner with the most wins, UNLESS those two teams are in the same division. If that's the case, then Division winner with most wins hosts Division winner with least wins.

honestiago

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 10:45 pm

That's a really silly rule. Basically cheapens winning the division. I understand you can have string divisions with 1 superlative teams, but, in this case, the WC is not superior, and actually benefitted from it. It'd be more fair to just seed everyone from 1-4.

STEVE F

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 10:49 pm

honestiago wrote:That's a really silly rule. Basically cheapens winning the division. I understand you can have string divisions with 1 superlative teams, but, in this case, the WC is not superior, and actually benefitted from it. It'd be more fair to just seed everyone from 1-4.

I fail to see how it "cheapens" winning the division. Please explain.

Ursoid

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 11:06 am

Regardless of whether it's silly or not, the rule is taken from the original MLB rule established when the wildcard slots were added to the postseason. My guess is SOM will keep the rule no matter what.

Misterg78582

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Look at it this way: you have first crack at taking advantage of the 100-win jinx...

honestiago

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 6:07 pm

STEVE F wrote:
honestiago wrote:That's a really silly rule. Basically cheapens winning the division. I understand you can have string divisions with 1 superlative teams, but, in this case, the WC is not superior, and actually benefitted from it. It'd be more fair to just seed everyone from 1-4.

I won my division. And ended up seeded 4th out of 4 teams. There's basically no difference between my team and the WC team. Further, I had one more victory than they did, AND a better run differential. Yet, they drew the more advantageous bracket. I understand how the seeding system works. I just think it's wrong. Don't see why the WC shouldn't be playing the #1 seed, regardless of what division they play in. In lieu of that, simply seeding the divisions 1-3, with the WC always being #4, would be the fairest way to do it. I'd even understand simply seeding everyone 1-4, if it came down to it.

Is what it is, but It's a silly rule.

Mumford

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 10:51 am

honestiago wrote:
STEVE F wrote:

I won my division. And ended up seeded 4th out of 4 teams. There's basically no difference between my team and the WC team. Further, I had one more victory than they did, AND a better run differential. Yet, they drew the more advantageous bracket. I understand how the seeding system works. I just think it's wrong. Don't see why the WC shouldn't be playing the #1 seed, regardless of what division they play in. In lieu of that, simply seeding the divisions 1-3, with the WC always being #4, would be the fairest way to do it. I'd even understand simply seeding everyone 1-4, if it came down to it.

Is what it is, but It's a silly rule.

Technically you are not seeded 4th. If you win and the WC wins then you get home field advantage for the finals. The NL this year shows why the rule is in place. The Cardinals should not face the WC team in the division series. The Pirates/Cubs are better than the Mets/Dodgers.

Mr Baseball World

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 pm

I believe that when mlb added the second wild card they did away with the rule that the wild card can't face a division foe. Hence I believe the Pirates or Cubs will face the Cardinals in the first round.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats