New and Improved Player Cards

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

supertyphoon

New and Improved Player Cards

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 10:49 pm

I think the new bar graphs they've added at the bottom of the player cards are terrific. Since the John G. posts are locked and I can't ask this question directly, so I'll pose it here.

How are the ballpark effects - particularly BP homers - taken into account?
Is it a medium value of 10/10, are they not included = 0/0, or maxed out at 20/20?

Hack Wilson

Re: New and Improved Player Cards

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 8:48 am

Great question, as that certainly makes a difference. Hope we get an answer....BECAUSE, when I look at Diamond Dope, for example, on Bobby Murcer's 7.94M card, I get a different reading than the bar chart. Right away the OBP is not as high (the SOM new bar chart has Murcer under .500 for OBP while Diamonddope -- when set to ignore park effects -- is .488 OBP vs. lefties and .539 OBP vs. righties. The bar chart is shy of .500 OBP on both sides, especially lefty, which looks around .433. ?????

Finally, a percentage for each outcome within the bar chart would be more helpful than just trying to estimate by eye alone.

carr20

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am

I did the math using Schmidt's 9.75 card and it looks like BP effects = 0,0 0,0

As for the percentage, that is there. If you hold the cursor over the bar, the actual numbers will show. This is from a desktop...didn't test it on mobile device

The Biomechanical Man

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 12:34 pm

I think the bars are a great addition, as well.

carr20 wrote:I did the math using Schmidt's 9.75 card and it looks like BP effects = 0,0 0,0

BP effects = 0,0,0,0 or BP effects ignored?

ScumbyJr

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 2:48 pm

Reminds me of the Ethan Allen baseball game player disks you put on a spinner.

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 4:37 pm

as I posted on the 200x thread about this, the bar graphs don't include ballpark numbers (or they are done at 0-0-0-0). These bar graphs would be much more helpful if they were made with your home park bp numbers or a possibility of doing it with both your home park and the park you were playing at for that night's games. don't know how much more difficult the coding/programming would be, but as they are now....not all that helpful.

The Biomechanical Man

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Yes, I looked at a couple of sample cards again. The bars are calculated where all # and > are outs. It would be better if the # and > were ignored by the bar calculations (thus, the bars would then represent play in an average ballpark).

I would not be surprised if it was too difficult for the bars to reflect your home ballpark, as it seems the bar is static with the card (not dynamically changed with your league or ballpark). I'm okay with that, but again, I think ignoring the # and > would be more neutral and better than assuming a 0-0-0-0 ballpark.

STEVE F

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 4:51 pm

I think it's still a nice quick way to look at the stats, knowing that you have to "mentally adjust" for whatever ballpark

The Last Druid

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 12:03 am

I like them for two reasons: they do remind me of the Cadaco/
Ethan Allen game that I learned baseball on just before the Mets came into existence. I think that they should just ignore ballpark effects altogether and visually rate the cards as non-superadvanced which gives a more accurate birds eye view of the player then setting bp effects=0 and thus ignoring actual performance achieved by the player sans bp effects.

I also like them because many people will rely on them to their detriment.

Win win from my perspective. :lol:

Sheikyerboudi

PostSun Sep 27, 2015 12:22 pm

They remind me of the "Compare" function on the CDROM game when you are trying to determine which player to start/PH with.

-The Sheik
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats