SOM Mentioned on TV

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FRANKMANSUETO

SOM Mentioned on TV

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Watching the Yankees/White Sox game. Michael Kay and Kenny Singleton start talking about Computerized Baseball Games when Michael Kay says I hope kids today are playing the board game Strat-o-matic. Kenny then says he played that game on the porch when he was a kid. Very cool! 8-) Brings back memories of playing on the picnic table on those hot summer days. 8-) :D

STEVE F

Re: SOM Mentioned on TV

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 pm

I heard it too! Made me smile to hear broadcasters talking about SOM!

Valen

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 1:30 am

If I were Strat I would give a board game, current season card set, cdrom with a half dozen random past seasons activated to all top media. Certainly the broadcasters of the teams. Add in the hosts of Baseball Tonight, Whip Around, and the various MLB talk shows. Every time one of those guys mentions Strat it causes buzz that would more than pay for the cost of the few dozen sets they would have to hand out.

I would also toss in a 5-pack of online credits. Then I would take that a step further by giving additional credits to anyone of this group of influencers willing to use their actual names. So Harold Reynolds plays as manager Harold Reynolds. I would also give free credits as part of the prize haul as players are elected to the HOF with the same stipulation. Can you imagine the buzz and excitement of getting to compete in a league with Tony Larussa, or managing against Curt Schilling while you have Curt Schilling on YOUR roster? 8-)

It would be one of the cheapest and probably most effective promotional campaigns in the history of baseball simulation games. It basically turns every national sports analyst in to a spokesman for Strat. For those who played as kids it brings back memories that can be a powerful draw back in to the customer fold, especially the online fold. For anyone not familiar with Strat it gives instant credibility to Strat as the cream of the crop premier sports simulation authority.

Musial6

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 7:11 am

Hasn't Bob Costas mentioned playing the board game version of Strat as a kid various times over the years?

egvrich

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 10:56 am

Doug Glanville was another avid SOM player.

Some interesting ideas there Valen. Imagine how quickly an auto league would fill if you were playing against a current or former MLB player???

Valen

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 11:52 am

Would probably fill fast, especially if it was flagged and the identity of that player verified.
Can you imagine the bragging rights of beating Theo Epstein?

egvrich

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 7:25 pm

I've actually met and talked to Theo at a Kerry Wood fundraiser. Seemed to be a decent enough guy. He promised me the wait would be over soon. :mrgreen:

andycummings65

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm

egvrich wrote:I've actually met and talked to Theo at a Kerry Wood fundraiser. Seemed to be a decent enough guy. He promised me the wait would be over soon. :mrgreen:

It's been ove.......ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. THAT wait. ;)

FRANKMANSUETO

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Speaking of Glanville. He was a speaker at the 50th anniversary of SOM in NYC. He is talking about Gregg Jefferies and him being the reason there is a fielding rating of 5 in SOM. :lol: 8-)

Musial6

PostSat Sep 26, 2015 7:06 am

egvrich wrote:I've actually met and talked to Theo at a Kerry Wood fundraiser. Seemed to be a decent enough guy. He promised me the wait would be over soon. :mrgreen:

Well.......I'm waiting..........waiting for the Cubs to open up a can of whoop-ass on the Buccos this weekend.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats