Is Strat Online Dying???

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Is Strat Online Dying???

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 7:45 am

Created a new $80 Mill DH league on Friday afternoon, there are no other competing leagues and here we sit FOUR DAYS LATER with 3 teams in the league .... That doesn't seem to bode well for the future of Strat Online .... :?

Outta Leftfield

Re: Is Strat Online Dying???

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 9:23 am

Well, one thing is that I count 8 different 80M ATG8 leagues, each with a slightly different configuration. Most or all have 1, 2, or 3 members. Sometimes it's a good idea to join an existing league rather than create a new one, since when leagues at the same cap proliferate, they can be hard to fill.

I've noticed that when a league gets up to 7 or 8 players, it often fills pretty fast because managers feel like "here's my chance to play."

Also, while Barnstormers is running, that seems to syphon off players. Right now, there are 22 active Barnstormer leagues, which means there are 264 teams committed to those leagues. And since there have been six events so far, each with 11 or 12 leagues, that's a lot of teams: more than 800 if I'm counting right. So, one way to get guaranteed action—and good competition— is to join the next iteration of Barnstormers.

All of that said, there may well be a decline in particpation in online Strat. If SOM would honor more of its promises (e.g. Manager Ratings, Pitcher Fielding stats, etc.) that might help.

andycummings65

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 10:02 am

I don't think so. I play so many franchise leagues of 2cityfan's, gbrookes', or my own creations, plus longstanding membership in miketarbell's and Delivery Boy's leagues and a Dream Team League, that I hardly ever look at newly created leagues. In the old days, an Auto League was the way to go, with a few theme leagues or longstanding member leagues sprinkled in. Now, it's completely the opposite.

ROBERTLATORRE

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 10:34 am

Not dying, but I would guess that the majority of us are AARP range LOL!!!

pkwmati

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 11:20 am

I hope not, but it does seem significiantly less active than the old TSN days.

I have thread in the mystery card forum for an 80s live draft. It has been up for months and we still need 4. Back in the old TSN days, there is no way a league like this lasts for even a week before it is filled.

(By the way - what are you waiting for!!!! Sign up for that live draft already!!!!)

egvrich

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 11:32 am

Outta Leftfield wrote:Well, one thing is that I count 8 different 80M ATG8 leagues, each with a slightly different configuration. Most or all have 1, 2, or 3 members. Sometimes it's a good idea to join an existing league rather than create a new one, since when leagues at the same cap proliferate, they can be hard to fill.

But, there is only one public DH league currently going and that league actually just lost a team so now we're back to 10 openings ... :roll:

My problem with Barnstormers is that I don't like to commit to long term things.

STEVE F

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 5:14 pm

egvrich wrote:
Outta Leftfield wrote:
My problem with Barnstormers is that I don't like to commit to long term things.

I have the same problem . as my three ex wives can attest to :lol:

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 pm

But you can always drop out of Barnstormers midway. And the advantage is—no alimony! :o :D

lanier64

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 10:44 pm

Of course it is. We all know it. This is nothing like it was 5 years ago or even three years ago. It is 7:40 PST and I am all alone on the board. In fact I frequently on this board by myself as I am sure many of you are when you are on. DEAD GAME WALKING!!! DEAD GAME WALKING!!!
Last edited by lanier64 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valen

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 9:15 am

Fear the Walking Dead. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good show though.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats