Credit card - Identity theft

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Valen

Credit card - Identity theft

PostSun Aug 30, 2015 1:40 am

Ok, admit this is not a strato or sports discussion. But I need help/advice.

B bank has issued 2 dredit cards to people I do not know. They are refusing to close the accounts and remove them from my credit history. They are fefusing my right to recieve copies of the documents they supposedly used to issue this credit.

I have contacted the bank telling them I did not open the accounts, Certainly did not use the cards that were never issued and never sent to my house. I have filed a complaint with the FTC and fraud alerts placed with all 3 major credit bureaus. Wrote to my congressman.

Anyone been through this type thing and willing to take a few minutes to type up what you did to get your credit reports clean again? I am getting desparate and just remember this evening every time I have posted a personal concern/need/want here someone has stepped up and helped.

If you used a lawyer or counseling service which ones and how much did they cost?

ScumbyJr

Re: Credit card - Identity theft

PostSun Aug 30, 2015 8:16 am

You have filed alerts, but have you challenged the actual accounts though your credit reports? They are require to investigate. Have you filed an identity theft affidavit with the FTC (not just a complaint)? That is the most important step. Once you do that you can sends copies to the credit agencies and the banks.

Your state government should have a agency to complain and investigate (usually the financial regulator).

Valen

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 12:45 am

Thanks. I was not aware of difference between the alert and complaint on the credit bureau. I will make additional phone calls to each and make sure both were done. I also was not aware of the state agency. My local police told me nothing could be done in Texas because it had to be investigated in the state where the fraud occurred. And Comenity Bank so far has refused to turn that information over. Been trying to find an attorney to help me but everyone I have contacted is not interested in doing anything until it reaches the point of bankruptcy. Then they will be happy to help.

Chuckgnh

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Well, my first thought might be of some help.....I just checked your state Attorney General's website, and there is a section there on identity theft. It looks like there's some potential help there, specifically some links for victims of such. Here's what I was looking at - https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/identity-theft. This is a horrible problem - I hope you can get somewhere. Good luck!!!!

Chuck

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats