Help me understand Hal

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

sociophil

Help me understand Hal

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 8:01 am

Top of the ninth in the midst of a two run rally in game five of the semi-finals. Runners on first and second with Arthur Rhodes on the mound and Gates Brown coming to the plate. Ricky Henderson is the designated pinch hitter versus LHP. Brown has been checked to avoid LHP. So Ricky picks up his bat, puts on his hat and gloves, and starts up the steps when Hal says " where you goin?" Gates strikes out on a 1-9 roll. Game over.

So what is the point of all thoseteam strategy and player settings if Hal is just going to ignore them?

ScumbyJr

Re: Help me understand Hal

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 10:33 am

The avoid LHP/RHP only applies to bench players. Don't ask what the logic is.

sociophil

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks Scumby! Wow, that is crazy. It has significant implications for a platoon strategy. I'm inclined to go back over the season and see how often platoon players were left in to hit when they should have been pinch hit for in a game.

Rosie2167

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:01 pm

socio, you're preaching to the choir. I just posted a wish about pinch hitting roles on that side of the forum. Jump on!!

ScumbyJr

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:10 pm

sociophil wrote:Thanks Scumby! Wow, that is crazy. It has significant implications for a platoon strategy. I'm inclined to go back over the season and see how often platoon players were left in to hit when they should have been pinch hit for in a game.

and there should be a "ph for" option instead of "don't ph for"

labratory

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Hal is a player's manager. Sometimes he goes with a hunch that Rhodes will feel sorry for Gates Brown's chances to get a hit, so he puts the glove on his other hand and throws righty.

STEVE F

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 9:07 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:
sociophil wrote:Thanks Scumby! Wow, that is crazy. It has significant implications for a platoon strategy. I'm inclined to go back over the season and see how often platoon players were left in to hit when they should have been pinch hit for in a game.

and there should be a "ph for" option instead of "don't ph for"

This would be an easy fix and solve most of our problems

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats