REPRICING

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nels52

REPRICING

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 2:04 am

Bobby Abreu is a sweet addition. God, I'll never use him in the current system.

It's undeniable that Strato's ownership of, well, Strato as opposed to TSN could and really already has resulted in different pricing systems. For absolutist hawks: Strato has priced a good deal of cards via an unfair "repricing" which only affected a small % of the card and with the glut of 21st Century and super seasons.

I was pretty put off when the "Repricing" was inconsistent by nature and did not affect EVERY CARD IN THE META.

Reprice every card.

rburgh

Re: REPRICING

PostWed Jul 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Most or all of the repriced cards came from years where they had issued Cadillac seasons to replace the Chevy ones, and what you see now for those guys is their Cadillac card. This of course means that some guys had to be repriced.

But I agree with you, out of the over 5000 cards available, I think barely over about 750 of them are worth using, and some of those only in high cap leagues. I think it's very unfair to newbies to have to sort through all this. If I hadn't been traveling heavily for work in my early years on the TSN site (just before ATG VI came out), I would never have stuck it out.

The autodraft routine is also flawed - you should be able to specify a 2- or 3-deep depth chart for every pick, or at least for the first dozen or so. And the live draft app could stand a lot of streamlining. By the way, whatever happened to the promised 1-, 2-, and 3-hour time limits for the live draft app to accommodate guys in current card keeper leagues?

The game should be about lineup synergy, salary balance between hitting, fielding, and pitching in various league environments, and understanding how to exploit the weaknesses of other teams in your league.

Instead, it's about finding the "bargain" players, coping with a cranky HAL, and (at high caps) keeping connected to the web for your draft and hornswoggling your fellow owners in trading afterwards. It's still fun, but it takes a couple of dozen leagues before you begin to understand.

nels52

Re: REPRICING

PostThu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 pm

The Cadillac card issue kinda always seemed like an elephant in the room for ATGs proper shaping. Frankly, because of what you describe rburgh, this issue has been quietly righted itself nicely. The pricing though, c'mon.

This is Strat-O-Matic. Their version of the game. We have half the game priced by the TSN regime and the other half by Strat. A card that is 7 million dollars is a MUCH better value when its contemporaries are extremely overpriced than when they are anything else. The superadvanced issue comes up again because of the SA cards often provide assets and have often been priced low compared to the cards with UNCHANGED prices. Thats not the point though.

Bumping 10% of the cards prices up or down by significant fractions of a MILLION while leaving the rest of the cards is horrible meta-sculpting. Now perhaps we should be Meta Free Marketers :twisted: but doing this IS shaping the meta and doing it badly.

SOM has never priced an ATG set. They do great things and will if they do that. I wanna see that.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats