Jack Clark for Joe Mauer in $200M DH??? You be the judge!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Roosky

Re: Jack Clark for Joe Mauer in $200M DH??? You be the ju

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 1:16 pm

If I was in a righty park such as Minute Maid I would take Clark over Mauer all day every day. Trades depend on paks and other factors in my opinion. It also depends on what other players are on a roster. If I had Josh Gibson or Mike Piazza I would very possibly deal Mauer for Clark if I needed 1b, RF, or DH and I was in a hitters or righty park.

nomadbrad

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Roosky wrote:If I was in a righty park such as Minute Maid I would take Clark over Mauer all day every day. Trades depend on paks and other factors in my opinion. It also depends on what other players are on a roster. If I had Josh Gibson or Mike Piazza I would very possibly deal Mauer for Clark if I needed 1b, RF, or DH and I was in a hitters or righty park.

If you read the thread......NINE of the 12 parks are Lefty Power Parks.....ONLY 2 of 12 Righty power parks.

This thread was done completely within context that's why I included the League Rosters so that every one commenting could see the context of divisions, rosters and parks.

nomadbrad

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 6:06 pm

For convenience here is the LINK to league rosters approx. 4 hours before Drop penaties for roster changes begin.

===================================================
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... ers/427361
===================================================

DonFESQ

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Pretty much agree with the Druid on this one. SS is the problem. Trammell goes undrafted now in live drafts typically because he sucks and there's enough higher priced guys to go around usually. You are probably stuck with him unless you see someone with 2+ SS and a hole somewhere you can fill. Trammell will be a downgrade for anyone else and you would have to ridiculously overpay to make that happen so don't bother.

LF is a problem that would be hard to solve. I'm really not a big fan of O'Neill. I do like Delahanty but it's hard to improve a spot anywhere and LF isn't as deep as one would think.

Edmonds is perfectly fine in CF. He often goes undrafted in 200m live drafts but he's pretty solid and even more so given your league makeup. He's always a contingency plan I have in case I miss out on one of the bigger CFs early in the draft because I know I can get him at the end of the draft. The Jackson and Walker problem in RF is fine to have if you are in a league with people who appreciate their worth, they are great. Unfortunately, sounds like you don't have too many willing partners.

Don't trade Mauer. It's simple, don't trade him. He is at worst a 4-5 round pick and at best a 3rd rounder. He's the clear #2 catcher in your league and its not really close. I would want Musial, Stearnes something like that to ditch Mauer and probably want a better catcher than the scrubs you have below Mauer back. The value of Musial and Stearnes is perceived to be way higher than Mauer by most so such a deal most likely wouldn't happen for you.

Hank O

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 11:33 pm

Whatta' laugher--u gotta be shtg me. Mauer's the 2nd best c, period. at least if arm and ability to hit RHP matter to you.
I went back to see where I ranked Clark among lrf in that $200M live Barnstormers draft. He ranked 8th between Dihigo and Sam Thompson. That's a generous rank, given how much of his value is in his walks, which are useless in a mediocre runner you might expect to be able to use in the heart of the order.

Who would you pick for the heart of your order vs RHP: 10 s, 4 d, 14 hr, 38bb or 25 s, 8 d, 10 t, 7 hr, 8bb?

Former is Clark, latter is Sam at Ameriquest.

Mauer? 31 s, 6 d, 14 hr, 15bb.

Get outta' here with that bs question;-)

Hank

PS in the draft, Mauer was the 26th pick (gotta qualify that, since it was me doing the pick). Clark went 112th.

Roosky

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 8:41 am

nomadbrad@sbcglobal.net wrote:
Roosky wrote:If I was in a righty park such as Minute Maid I would take Clark over Mauer all day every day. Trades depend on paks and other factors in my opinion. It also depends on what other players are on a roster. If I had Josh Gibson or Mike Piazza I would very possibly deal Mauer for Clark if I needed 1b, RF, or DH and I was in a hitters or righty park.

If you read the thread......NINE of the 12 parks are Lefty Power Parks.....ONLY 2 of 12 Righty power parks.

This thread was done completely within context that's why I included the League Rosters so that every one commenting could see the context of divisions, rosters and parks.

In your specific case it would be a terrible trade. I was simply making the point that in other cases the answer could be different.

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 9:26 am

My experience is that some managers are nervous about making trade offers because they're afraid they'll be criticized if the manager on the other end doesn't appreciate the offer. I really like to talk trade, even if no deal comes of the negotiation, so I think it's important to create, as much as possible, a safe environment for the discussion of trades. This means, not criticizing either the person who makes the offer or the person who turns it down.

If I get an offer I don't like, I try to just politely refuse it rather than criticize the person who made the offer. I haven't lost anything by receiving a onesided offer and turning it down. In fact, when I've begun my polite refusal with a comment appreciating the offer, and a brief explanation of what I'm actually looking for, this has often led to a solid trade that helps both teams.

Similarly, if I make an offer and it's not accepted, I try to just say "Ok, no problem." I don't think it's a wise strategy to criticize the guy who turned it down. In fact, I think it might be a better idea to encourage the other owner to make a counter-offer of his own. The advantage of this approach is that it helps to keep lines of communicaiton open.

I agree with Nev that it's a good principal to offer only win-win trades. But what looks like win-win to the manager making the offer may look very one-sided to the manager receiving the offer. So...some patience is required on both sides.

Anyway, I try look a it this way--a one-sided offer from an opposing manager is the beginning of a conversation. I'm not going to make a trade that in my opinion hurts my team, but that first one-sided query from an opposing manager opens a dialogue that might lead to a good trade down the road.

And if occasionally another manager is unpleasant during a trade discussion despite my best efforts, I try to just shrug my shoulders and move on.

All of this said, while Edmonds would never be my top pick in CF, I've had pretty good luck with him in lefty parks in 140M and 200M leagues when I've missed my top pick and he's the only guy left--as he often is. Also, I guess I like Clark in a righty park a lot more than some other managers. He's a righty with high OBP and lots of homes who hits RHP better than LHP, and that has real value in my book. I'm not commenting on these specific trades or teams, but just saying that both Clark and Edmonds can have value in the right setting.

And it's this different evaluation of the same players by different managers is part of what makes trading players tricky but also very interestings.

Valen

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 10:55 am

He's a righty with high OBP and lots of homes

Why does he need lots of homes. He got a woman set up in every city?

stratfanSkip

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Valen wrote:
He's a righty with high OBP and lots of homes

Why does he need lots of homes. He got a woman set up in every city?

Valen.........this just might be the VERY BEST comment made in this entire thread!! LMFAO :lol: :lol:
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 pm

stratfanSkip wrote:Valen.........this just might be the VERY BEST comment made in this entire thread!! LMFAO :lol: :lol:

Right you are...and let's not forget the famous trading strategy of Yankee pitchers Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich, which involve not only wives, homes and kids, but also the family dogs. From the current wikipedia article on Peterson, we get the following:
Wife swapping
Peterson is probably best remembered today for swapping wives and children with fellow Yankee pitcher Mike Kekich, an arrangement the pair announced at spring training in March 1973. The Peterson and Kekich families had been friends since 1969. Peterson and the former Susanne Kekich are still married, but the relationship between Kekich and Marilyn Peterson did not last very long.[22] By June, the Yankees traded Kekich.[23] “It’s a love story. It wasn’t anything dirty,” Peterson told a reporter in 2013. “I could not be happier with anybody in the world. ‘Mama’ and I go out and party every night. We’re still on the honeymoon and it has been a real blessing

Kind of heartwarming, don't you think? ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats