new team, what do you think?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Last Druid

Re: new team, what do you think?

PostMon Jun 29, 2015 6:42 pm

You are welcome for Delahanty. Your biggest problem is not your team, it is deepdrive's Forbes '09 entry. He could patent that team - which he has done very well with indeed. However, two of the key players that he most loves, found their way to my team and he also doesn't have his favorite pitchers, two of whom were grabbed by Nels52. But even without them, he is likely to be the team to beat in your division.

After that though we will see what we will see. ;) :lol:

sdajr76

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 1:00 am

duffy had a hell of a game, and jones won in spite of himself after tossing 26(h)-6(p) in his rolls.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/427268/11
-steven

Valen

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 12:01 pm

after tossing 26(h)-6(p) in his rolls

Would this be the strat equivalent of being squeezed by the umpire?

Valen

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 12:09 pm

it is deepdrive's Forbes '09 entry. He could patent that team - which he has done very well with indeed.

This is probably another thing that separates managers like you from people like me. Most of the time I just throw together something I think would be an interesting theme. Rarely pay enough attention to everyone else to notice someone has a patent. :D Or as some ex girlfriends might say more evidence I do not pay enough attention. :lol:

Definitely a trait we would all do well to imitate if we were really serious about winning all the time. Props to you.

Just a curiosity/philosophical question: Do you ever see a certain opponent knowing they have a patent and that they are usually very good and focus on countering their team a little more than other opponents? I assume someone with your success rate probably notes and adjusts to the composition of a league. But how often do you see a team and say this is the team to beat and target doing so from the start?

sdajr76

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 2:13 pm

not sure who the question was for, but no. i do not target certain managers even though i know the types of teams/players they prefer nor do i allow that to change my approach when facing them. i always build small ball teams so i guess i am like one of those managers you were talking about valen.
-steven

The Last Druid

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 11:39 am

I do pay particular attention to certain opponents. Deepdrive wasn't one of them though until I started noticing that I kept meeting the same team again and again in the Finals of various 100M leagues. Managers tend to like certain players, probably as a result of them doing well for them. This is fairly easy to take advantage of during autodrafts. That's one reason I play in so many different parks as I tend to be somewhat high profile and don't want to be too predictable.

I always take into account the opposition and frequently try to target key opponents.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats