YET ANOTHER RELIEF PITCHER USAGE QUESTION???

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

YET ANOTHER RELIEF PITCHER USAGE QUESTION???

PostSun Jun 21, 2015 8:16 am

HAL is at at again. Check out the 5th inning. With a rested Johnny Klippstein on the bench, HAL brings in Tom Burgmeier (who is set for Quick Hook, Avoid Righties) to face Larry Gardner. I get that part, but then he leaves him in to face 9 more batters, SEVEN OF WHICH ARE RIGHTIES, he only retires one batter, allowing 9 of 10 batters to reach base safely ... Contributing greatly to a 15 RUN INNING for my opponent.

Seriously HAL, what part of QUICK Hook and AVOID Righties did you not understand???

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/ga ... /427172/97

Disclaimer ... Fortunately my team managed to win the game ... :shock:

Valen

Re: YET ANOTHER RELIEF PITCHER USAGE QUESTION???

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Post links to team and the team/individual settings you have.

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm

egvrich wrote:HAL is at at again. Check out the 5th inning. With a rested Johnny Klippstein on the bench, HAL brings in Tom Burgmeier (who is set for Quick Hook, Avoid Righties) to face Larry Gardner. I get that part, but then he leaves him in to face 9 more batters, SEVEN OF WHICH ARE RIGHTIES, he only retires one batter, allowing 9 of 10 batters to reach base safely ... Contributing greatly to a 15 RUN INNING for my opponent.

Seriously HAL, what part of QUICK Hook and AVOID Righties did you not understand???

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/ga ... /427172/97

Disclaimer ... Fortunately my team managed to win the game ... :shock:

He was kept in because you had such a huge lead.

Sheikyerboudi

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 7:24 pm

In the CDROM version of the game you can indicate how many runs a pitcher can give up before relieving him. Don't know why we can't have something like this online.

-The Sheik

Valen

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 12:10 am

I would still like to know what the entire bullpen roster was, what the team settings were, and what the indivicual settings of the relievers were. What were all the roles that were assigned to all the relievers, including Klipstein.

I have found most of the time weird stuff is at least partially explained by
1 - shortage of options
2 - Too many roles assigned to multiple relievers.
3 - Conflicting roles/settings.

Now I am not saying that any of these are relevant to your situation. I would like to see a common protocol where when we ask why Hal did xyz we also post all the evidence for analysis.

I propose that protocol be team roster. If possible opposing team roster. Team settings such as aggressive/conservative. Individual setting such as do not relieve before f?, slow hook quick hook, what roles were assigned not only to the person in question but to all potential available pitchers.

With this full range of information we can have a better chance of putting forth explanations that have better odds of being right. And we might also just learn something about mistakes we have been making. Perhaps with all this information we can have intelligent, informative discussions that help us understand the problems better and plan better usage of the tools available to us.
Last edited by Valen on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

STEVE F

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 12:12 am

Valen wrote:I would still like to know what the entire bullpen roster was, what the team settings were, and what the indivicual settings of the relievers were. What were all the roles that were assigned to all the relievers, including Klipstein.

I have found most of the time weird stuff is at least partially explained by
1 - shortage of options
2 - Too many roles assigned to multiple relievers.
3 - Conflicting roles/settings.

If I had to guess, I'd say Klipstein was set at either "do not used before the 6th" or "do no use in a blowout" or both

Valen

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Both good guesses. Of course if all someone wants to do is blow off steam then no additional information is needed.
All general managers can probably identify with a manager not handling personnel as they would like. Many rumors swirled around the metroplex a few years back when Daniels called up several prospects and Wash refused to use them.

But if purpose of post is to seriously question why Hal did something, and more importantly, understand what might be better settings to achieve a goal the more information the better.

ScumbyJr

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 3:45 pm

The score was 19-0, once it got down to 19-15, Kipplestein was put in who I assume is the designated middleman. Prior to that the settings don't kick in.

'Avoid- When this setting is active for a relief pitcher, he will avoid entering or staying in a game to face the corresponding type of batter. A switch-hitter is (intuitively) considered to be a lefty if the pitcher is a righty, and vice versa. This avoidance is rather strict as long as 1) there are other fresh, available options in the bullpen that are not otherwise restricted from being used in the given situation, 2) the game is relatively close, and 3) the game is in the later innings. This setting is ignored in otherwise lower-leverage situations.'

geekor

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 7:09 pm

egvrich wrote:Seriously HAL, what part of QUICK Hook and AVOID Righties did you not understand???

Since there is confusion here, let's make it clear.

the avoid Lefties and avoid Righties is not for hitters coming up, it is when bringing the pitcher in the game. After that, that setting is never checked again.

As you said, he avoided a Righty when being called in, that's it, it never checks again. That isn't how that setting works.

Mr Baseball World

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 10:12 pm

That's not what the rules say geekor.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats