A MUST ADD guy for new players in ATG VIII

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Rosie2167

Re: A MUST ADD guy for new players in ATG VIII

PostWed May 27, 2015 1:43 pm

1787 wrote:it really dosnt address the super reliever game.

I believe my earlier post might...
A concept I've thought that might work in dealing with ATG part timers or super relievers playing huge roles in SOM is incorporate a playing % for each card. So Gates Brown's playing % would be 21%. (104 PA's / 502 PA's). If at anytime during the season he is over his 21% playing time + a small variance of say 10%, his performance would degrade. ei: Maybe rolls during his AB's are more inclined to go on the Pitchers card and that bias continues to build if he continues to play over his playing %.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostWed May 27, 2015 9:22 pm

I just really don't like the idea of messing with the roll distribution. I know that the game does some adjustments, and I don't like that either. But the game is supposed to be built on the distribution of dice rolls, and whenever there are "fudge factors" introduced it adds uncertainty to the game that should not be there. This is supposed to be based on math and probability, not on unknown factors worked into the code and unavailable to the game players. That's not how the dice and card game works.

I am not sure why you dont think this would take care of the super reliever problem. Currently, a pitcher gets hurt if there is a 6-12 roll on the DH, right. Now, lets say hypothetically that 10% over regular usage moves you 1 injury spot. A pitcher throwing just 50% over his normal allotment is now injured on a 6-7. And since none of those guys threw 200 innings, they are all subject to 15 game injuries. I know it is not perfect, but...I got nothing else that doesn't go messing with rolls.

Valen

PostThu May 28, 2015 11:51 am

I do not see why the unrealistic existence of cards like Gates Brown has to be linked to the super reliever. Both are problems that need addressed. But they are separate problems with separate solutions. Fixing one problem would not impact the other. Failing to fix one would not negate a fix to the other.

There is I believe a feature in the cdrom game where it does increase the injury frequency of an overused card. Pricing would have to be adjusted and complete transparency that it was being turned on would be a must. And would want a thorough explanation of how it works and implications, not just a paragraph or two in John's blog. Not sure I would support it if not explained better than that F? rating feature of pitcher fatigue was.

Do not think hitting with a 30 game injury at some arbitrary cutoff would work. I would just watch and cut him before the cutoff. What might work is a calculation where if a player got on a pace to exceed 10% or whatever overusage the card incurred an immediate 5 game injury. But I am not certain I would support that without the ability to have individual game lineups so I could control when the card got used and when not used so I could spot start a batter the way I do spot starting pitchers. I might though if pricing were adjusted making the use of such cards off the bench as pinch hitters feasible.

Though personally if I were making the decision anyone who played less than 100 games or had fewer than 400 plate appearances would be tossed in the airlock and the doors opened. If you could not start for your team or played in a little league atmosphere you do not belong in something called all time greats or even a some time greats. Such cards in my view were never great, period.

Whoopycat

PostThu May 28, 2015 1:51 pm

I can predict without reservation that if ATG put in usage limits based on real life plate appearances, that you would see a furor erupt that would put Japan/Cuba players, mystery cards, normalization, injury frequency, superrelief, HAL bullpen usage, site outages and any other grievance to shame.

Yes, the PC version has an option for usage limits. It's completely random and black box. I used it once during a manual season replay. That was enough. You go to play your game and players just vanish from your roster. You have no idea for how long. Sometimes for more than one game. You can still play somebody well over their real life usage, like say 300 AB for someone with under 100 AB real life.

In the case of Gates Brown, he sits against lefties anyway, so there's already some limit built in. The 1927 Chino Smith card would be a better example of where/when does usage limiting come into play. You would basically have to re-price the entire set to take usage limiting into account, because nobody will want to spend $8 mil on a card that's going to miss half the season.

Rosie2167

PostThu May 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Because it seems that pitchers injuries happen so less frequently than position players.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats