Battered Bastards of Baseball

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

prjr

Battered Bastards of Baseball

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 4:47 pm

So who's seen this doc on Netflix? I had not heard about this team's story before. What a story! I think those who were fans of baseball in the 70's will have a special affinity to the setting and archival footage.

STEVE F

Re: Battered Bastards of Baseball

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 5:00 pm

I saw it and recommend it highly! Great story

stratfanSkip

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 7:41 pm

STEVE F wrote:I saw it and recommend it highly! Great story

I second what Steve said! Awesome show!!
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

BDWard

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 11:24 am

Baseball is the best game ever invented, bar none, and I was always an enthusiastic (though not talented) player and an avid fan. I can really relate to the players in this story who played for the love of the game and because they refused to let go of their dream to play professional baseball.

I was in my late high school and early college years when this story took place. I can't believe that I've never heard it before. What a great story! The youtube link to the documentary about this team is below. It's about an hour and 20 minutes with no commercials and is well worth watching. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76VgVglC0Co

prjr

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 7:06 am

BDWard wrote:Baseball is the best game ever invented, bar none, and I was always an enthusiastic (though not talented) player and an avid fan. I can really relate to the players in this story who played for the love of the game and because they refused to let go of their dream to play professional baseball.

I was in my late high school and early college years when this story took place. I can't believe that I've never heard it before. What a great story! The youtube link to the documentary about this team is below. It's about an hour and 20 minutes with no commercials and is well worth watching. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76VgVglC0Co

Completely agree. As a baseball fan in my prime and formative years (12-15 years old) during this story I can't believe I had never heard of it before! Really a must see for any baseball fan.

lanier64

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 4:15 pm

I have read something about the Portland Mavericks before. It might have been in one of Roger Angel's books. Great documentary. We have an independent league here in Northern California with only four teams but I have had more fun watching these guys than I have had going to Major League, Pacific Coast League, and California League games. these teams are just like the Mavericks in that they have castoffs from other independent and affiliated minor leagues, college players who were never signed and a few former Major Leaguers like Wayne Franklin (owner of one of the clubs), and Aaron Miles. I find that the further away I get from the MLB in professional baseball the more fun I have.

hackra

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Just watched the documentary -- Great.
Thanks for sharing!
:D

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats