Statcast: The revolution has arrived for MLB!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

BDWard

Statcast: The revolution has arrived for MLB!

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 6:30 am

"The real payoff for diehard baseball fans is much bigger than enhanced knowledge of what went into individual plays. Soon, MLB will be able to create leaderboards for all of these quantifiable defensive metrics, meaning that after more than a century of guesswork, there will be concrete data to measure the best fielders over the course of a season or longer."

If it's as good as advertised, Statcast could play a big role in future SOM defensive ratings.

The whole article can be read at the link below. Make sure to watch the video as well.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2 ... B%2FSNMain

Valen

Re: Statcast: The revolution has arrived for MLB!

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 5:42 pm

I posted this in the 200x forums last week. It will be very interesting to see what comes out of this. Unfortunate thing is it will probably be many years before Strat uses anything from this system to set their rankings. And even if they do we will probably never know if or when or how they are used. We do not even know now if or which of the existing sabermetric fielding ratings Strat uses. Jeter for example continued to receive good range ratings years after the advanced metrics showed he had become average.

The Last Druid

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 7:08 pm

A great idea... but I suspect many of us could design a better simulation than Strat even without definitive fielding data. SOM will probably see this development as some sort of threat to their proprietary ratings system. :roll: :lol: :cry: Lately our friendly geniuses can't even seem to manage getting player card images to actually show up on the screen when you click on the card.

Valen

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 6:39 pm

That card display problem is getting on my nerves. Will not work at all on firefox. Tried chrome and worked on some cards but not others. Thought maybe the agents for those players thought I was too cheap and cut me off. But then remembered prices are fixed. :lol:

Seriously though, regarding statcast there are a number of items I am curious to see. I saw an article on mlb.com about it showing the different things measured for hitters, pitchers, fielders and was going to post it here but kept getting errors the forum server could not be contacted. Now I cannot find the article.

There were a few I am particularly interested in seeing regarding fielding. Who gets the fastest first step on a batted ball? Who runs the most efficient routes to balls. Did that OFer make that great diving catch because he was so good or because he took an inefficient route forcing him to make the dive? I am also as interested in seeing who gets to top speed the quickest as I am who has the top speed.

I suspect this will be a big deal for a while until we get most questions like this answered. Then will fade and kind of get put on back burner. Then 30 years from now when Trout is retired and in the HOF and a young upstart kid is making waves the fun might be in comparing his speed, jump, route efficiency with the old timers, especially for the younger generation who will have never seen Trout, Hamilton, and the other stars of today. I can hear gramps saying .... Yeah the ball jumps off the bat of that Klingon kid but you should have seen Stanton crush one. And the grandson responding statcast says the ball was 3 mph slower off Stanton's bat. Baseball arguments will never be the same. :lol:

Ursoid

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Valen wrote:That card display problem is getting on my nerves. Will not work at all on firefox. Tried chrome and worked on some cards but not others. Thought maybe the agents for those players thought I was too cheap and cut me off. But then remembered prices are fixed. :lol:

With chrome, at least, you just have to be stubborn - keep hitting the link and the card will eventually display. Haven't tried it with firefox so don't know if it'll work there or not. Of course it's still annoying to have to be that stubborn, but what else do I have to do?

nevdully's

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 11:49 pm

I HATE this company.

prjr

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 am

nevdully's wrote:I HATE this company.

Truly, why are you still here then? I can understand some frustration at the lack of strat being perfect on all levels but the endless whining is a bit much. Yes, it is flawed. Certainly the game can continue to be tweaked and incremental improvements made. And this forum can be used to work toward achieving those improvements in a constructive way. But it's still fun. Anyway, the flawed aspects of the game certainly do not outweigh the positives. And, if they do for you why not walk away? At some point the "I HATE this company" tantrums grow old.

I grew up playing APBA and I remember the one kid in the neighborhood who would always throw his dice shaker and cry, "this is so unrealistic!!" and storm out...Yes, these games are not perfect or perfectly realistic (see endless homerun records). But, guess what? It's not real! It's a simulated game generated electronically(or by dice roll)....We all just wished he would stay away and go find his 'perfect' game to play by himself.

nevdully's

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Because in a nutshell.....*****If**** this company was run by anyone that gave a crap, the improvements in game play over 15 years would be monumental compared to what we have here.

So when frustration sets in, and it's not tied to losing...just senseless results...it always "in my mind anyway" reverts back to a poorly run site.

Seriously there are probably two dozen guys here that play, maybe more, that if given the opportunity over these past 15 years would have done a much much better job.

As for my whine getting tiresome, yeah I hear ya...I understand....just don't bother reading it then.

prjr

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Oh nevdully, in a nutshell; you again made it clear what you don't like about the company and why it is a p.o.s. So again I ask, why are you still playing?

"As for my whine getting tiresome, yeah I hear ya...I understand....just don't bother reading it then."

Come on, how can I not look at the person having a meltdown lol.

nevdully's

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 8:51 pm

I guess for the same reason you can't help but read my posts.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats