ENCORE? Negro Leagues vs MLB

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

BDWard

Re: *NEW Season* Negro Leagues vs MLB

PostWed Apr 15, 2015 9:42 am

Starter relievers cost more than relievers. Just look at what happened to Forster and Marberry when they went from pure relievers in ATG7 to S/R in ATG8. The price went up an average of about $2 mil. If NeL teams have to use their own S/Rs instead of pure relievers, it will put them at a competitive disadvantage, since S/Rs cost more money than pure relievers. This runs counter to the goal of leveling the playing field as much as possible for all teams.

I say let the NeL teams use the same relievers from the 1920-1955 player pool that will be used by the major league teams. Perhaps a cap on relief pitchers of $2.5 or $3 mil should be considered as well, since it seems that the objective is to have position players and starting pitchers determine the outcomes, not potentially overly used relief pitchers.

Also, I think a lottery should be run to determine team preference, rather than order of sign up. That is the most fair.

That being said, my preference is to draft a team full of major leaguers.

bontomn

PostWed Apr 15, 2015 1:09 pm

I think Musial6's ideas of splitting the top 36 relievers from 1920 to 1955 between the NeL teams and the ML teams is good, but in addition we might also split the bottom 36 relievers (if there are that many) similarly. This would allow those managers who prefer to invest their $ in hitting and/or starting pitching much more leeway. Also, I agree with Bernie that the managers should be randomized and then allowed to choose. Sign-up preference is a poor way of evening the playing field.

Rosie2167

PostWed Apr 15, 2015 8:28 pm

127 unique Pure relievers from 1920 - 1955

Top 6 above 3 Mil
next 60 from 2.73 - .96
last 61- .96 down
Suggest we use the 60 from 2.73 - .96...enough variation?

The parameters we put around the MLB benches needs to be discussed as well. There aren't any real cheap cards in the NeL set, quick math has the NeL reserves averaging just over 3Mil per. So couple of suggestions to avoid having the MLB teams loaded with a bunch of 9.99 mil (open to others as well):

1) position players 10-14 on the MLB roster need to average over 3mil. Since we can carry 24 not concerned if you want to carry more below that.
2) Limit back ups to 2-4 mil range

Rosie2167

PostWed Apr 15, 2015 8:29 pm

also will randomize the draft order once we get to that point

CTStough

PostWed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Why from the years 1920-1955? Why not all years? (for the relievers)

Never mind

BDWard

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 am

Rosie2167 wrote:127 unique Pure relievers from 1920 - 1955

Top 6 above 3 Mil
next 60 from 2.73 - .96
last 61- .96 down
Suggest we use the 60 from 2.73 - .96...enough variation?

The parameters we put around the MLB benches needs to be discussed as well. There aren't any real cheap cards in the NeL set, quick math has the NeL reserves averaging just over 3Mil per. So couple of suggestions to avoid having the MLB teams loaded with a bunch of 9.99 mil (open to others as well):

1) position players 10-14 on the MLB roster need to average over 3mil. Since we can carry 24 not concerned if you want to carry more below that.
2) Limit back ups to 2-4 mil range

Since subs will be expensive, I see no reason to have the lowest price relievers at $0.96 mil. I f somebody wants to pitch a $0.50 mil RP in a league with a $120 mil cap, it should be up to him. Besides, most teams will have 5 relief pitchers. If only 60 are eligible, that means we will all be stuck with relief pitchers we don't want or that there will be an early run on relief pitchers.

I suggest that any relief pitcher at $2.73 mil or less be eligible.

Also, I'm not quite sure how the draft will work. Will complete NeL teams be drafted, including relief pitchers, before the MLB teams are drafted? If so, wouldn't that put MLB teams at a disadvantage?

Rosie2167

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 11:36 am

How I envisioned the draft is similar to Musial's suggestion, both the NeL and MLB teams draft starters in parallel. Once we get to the relievers and bench guys we'd combine the teams into one draft. The auto draft is another way to fill out the rosters but due to the era limit there would probably be a ton of clean up.

Totally open to including all the RP's under 2.73. Just awaiting the other owners input.

tks

reggie reigns

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 12:33 pm

I like the idea of 2 separate drafts...one each for mlb and nel.

If I understand this correctly, the list of players compiled that played in the NeL would all be eligible for the NeL draft, and therefore unavailable for the mlb teams...is this correct?

Figuring out a way to disperse rps and bench players fairly seems to be the issue...perhaps a quick 3 round rp draft, and leave the rest to autodraft? Or, if all teams are using the same pool for bench/bullpen, just leave it all to autodraft? How many rounds are we going to draft on the boards? 15 rounds would get us a rotation and a starting line-up, with a couple of spots left over for platoons/key bench guys.
My 2 cents...happy to go along with what the group decides...

Rosie2167

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi reggie

Yes all the players carded to the NeL and those MLB players I listed (with NeL experience) are not eligible for the MLB teams.

# of rounds on the boards is still up for debate, 15ish seems about right

CTStough

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 9:47 pm

One idea on the relievers might be to restrict all pure relievers to .54 and under for all teams NL and MLB. This would keep their impact to a minimum and stay more in the keeping with the era.

Also, all back ups might be restricted too- say to .60 or less, for the same reasons. (unless platooning)
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats