Really Hal?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gamiam

Really Hal?

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 am

I'm at a loss as to why Hal would start Erv Dusak at shortstop (ss does not appear on his only card), and start Al Bridwell, a 3e28 SS ONLY at DH. Against both LHP and RHP Bridwell is the only backup ss listed on my roster page. It didn't cost me the game, but only because I got lucky.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/426071/212

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

hackra

Re: Really Hal?

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 9:41 am

Not Absolutely certain on this, but I believe Hal's programed logic is such that he will not take a player you have assigned to the DH slot and move that player to a position due to injury elsewhere in the lineup.

That is why listing a catcher as DH is the only way to injure both of your catchers on a 2 catcher squad, and probably why Hal went to a non shortstop here (He was making the DH a #1 priority and then the only ss on your team was "locked" into the DH role).

gamiam

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 4:27 am

Good to know, thanks!

paolocosmo

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Could it be because of the rule that if your DH is used as a position player during a game, you lose the DH & the pitcher must bat? This is the one official baseball rule we ignore in our face to face league.

Badjam

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 1:36 pm

paolocosmo wrote:Could it be because of the rule that if your DH is used as a position player during a game, you lose the DH & the pitcher must bat? This is the one official baseball rule we ignore in our face to face league.

This is true during the completion of the game a player gets injured but the complaint is the next game(s). The Hal logic should put in a different DH in the following games so your correct backup, that is also the DH, can play in the injured players spot. Kind of like Victor Martinez DH's mostly but will play first sometimes.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats