New Card Additions

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

2cityfan

Re: New Card Additions

PostFri Dec 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Agree with Andy, I want to be able to run a modern era/ expansion era franchise league without having to assign Maury Wills to the Expos so they have a usable SS. If We could get a drop of each franchises top team post 1969, the gaps would close..

The Biomechanical Man

PostFri Dec 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Back to the Gary Carter card, I think this was a GREAT add. Having Carter and Piazza options for the light-hitting Mets in theme leagues is important. Up to now neither Carter or Piazza are available for franchise theme leagues were you can only use players carded to your team. They are only available up to now for Mets teams in franchise theme leagues that allow you to pick any player who ever played for that team or a franchise league where the commissioner makes exceptions for players like Carter, Piazza, etc.

Welcome to the Mets, Gary Carter. I will be nominating 2000 Piazza next time votes are opened.

rolandzeut

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 10:20 am

The Biomechanical Man wrote:Back to the Gary Carter card, I think this was a GREAT add. Having Carter and Piazza options for the light-hitting Mets in theme leagues is important. Up to now neither Carter or Piazza are available for franchise theme leagues were you can only use players carded to your team. They are only available up to now for Mets teams in franchise theme leagues that allow you to pick any player who ever played for that team or a franchise league where the commissioner makes exceptions for players like Carter, Piazza, etc.

Welcome to the Mets, Gary Carter. I will be nominating 2000 Piazza next time votes are opened.

As the nominator of the controversial 1985 Gary Carter card, thanks for the support! I was surprised by the blowback, and even more surprised that it made the cut. As a teenager in CT in the mid 80s, I always loved The Kid (even though I was a Red Sox fan), and simply nominated his best Met season because I wanted to use him as a Met and not an Expo! ;)

He'll be my catcher as soon as the card comes out!!

mike4169

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Since I feel like we need more 2B I've been kind of looking. What's everyone's thoughts on "Cupid Child's" 1894 card?

Sheikyerboudi

PostSun Dec 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Also at 2B: Fred Dunlap 1884 - .412 Avg. and 1.069 OPS & Ross Barnes 1876 - .429 Avg. and 1.052 OPS.

-The Sheik

scorehouse

PostFri Jan 02, 2015 12:23 pm

nice finds on the 2b cards!

nymets99

PostFri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 pm

rolandzeut wrote:
The Biomechanical Man wrote:Back to the Gary Carter card, I think this was a GREAT add. Having Carter and Piazza options for the light-hitting Mets in theme leagues is important. Up to now neither Carter or Piazza are available for franchise theme leagues were you can only use players carded to your team. They are only available up to now for Mets teams in franchise theme leagues that allow you to pick any player who ever played for that team or a franchise league where the commissioner makes exceptions for players like Carter, Piazza, etc.

As the nominator of the controversial 1985 Gary Carter card, thanks for the support! I was surprised by the blowback, and even more surprised that it made the cut. As a teenager in CT in the mid 80s, I always loved The Kid (even though I was a Red Sox fan), and simply nominated his best Met season because I wanted to use him as a Met and not an Expo! ;)

He'll be my catcher as soon as the card comes out!!

which will be? When? anyone know?

visick

PostFri Jan 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Let me start off saying I'm a Mets fan. Have been since I was a kid.

Gary Carter is my all time favorite Met. Seaver is a close 2nd.

That being said... We DON'T need a card of his because it's a Mets card. You want the best season from a player, and we already have it.

In a typical theme league where high card usually rules, Piazza goes to the Dodgers and Carter goes to the Expos. The only way you get to use The Kid, is when these 2 teams aren't in it. Call me crazy but, isn't Todd Hundley ('96 or '97) a better choice here? Hell even the 1980 John Stearns is better than what the Mets have when you can't use Piazza or Carter.
I don't get using a sub par card of a player. Especially when their best season is available.

(It's painful enough using The Kid and his best card (3L 1982) hit .240 or less in theme leagues...)

visick

STEVE F

PostFri Jan 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Gotta say , I agree with Visick on this one.

scubaking1

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 8:31 pm

I know this is late, but for the next round I would like to nominate Javy Lopez in 03. A monster year with an OPS of 1.065.

T
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats