New Card Additions

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FRANKMANSUETO

New Card Additions

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 9:01 am

TTroy Tulowitzki, 2011 - Great Choice!
Ken Caminiti, 1996 - Great Choice!
Willie Keeler, 1898 - Not his BEST season. 1897 is his best. Wasted vote in. Looks like his BEST Season gets nominated next time!!
Earl Averill, 1936 - Great Choice!
Lyman Bostock, 1977 - Sentimental Choice and I like it very much!
Pete Browning, 1887 - Great Choice!
Tommy Davis, 1962 - His best season and I am all for a players BEST season. Great Choice!
Charles Johnson, 1997 - NOT his best season. A wasted choice for me.
Zack Greinke, 2009 - Great Choice!
Tip O'Neill, 1887 - Great Choice!
Babe Ruth, 1923 - I know his MVP Season. We now have 5 cards of him. To me he takes the place of a player with NO cards.
Fred Lynn, 1975 - His ROY Season. We now hav 4 cards of him. Same as Ruth!
Tony Lazzeri, 1929 - His BEST Season. Great Choice!
Brady Anderson, 1996 - Great Choice!
Kiki Cuyler, 1925 - Great Choice!
Cecil Fielder, 1990 - Not excited about this addition.
Jose Bautista, 2010 - Great Choice!
Shawn Green, 1999 - Great Choice!
Gary Carter, 1985 - Wasted vote in. His BEST season is already in. If it's a Met thing then Todd Hundley should have been nominated.
Edgar Renteria, 2003 - Great Choice!
Last edited by FRANKMANSUETO on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ScumbyJr

Re: New Card Additions

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 12:07 pm

1997 was Charles Johnson's best season. His defensive play that year is one of the best all-time catcher years. his offensive numbers were very good too. I assume you say that 1997 was not Charles Johnson's best season because of his monster offensive numbers in 2000 with Balt/CWS.The sabermetrics show 1997 to be his best season. Also he should have a Marlins card and they won the WS that year. Every new card doesn't have to be based on homeruns.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ch04.shtml

Salty

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 pm

For many of the cards,

think its a bit tough to determine which are good/useful or not until you see the actual cards.

For example- I actually wanted the 2012 Cano card :cry: b/c its a huge righty split- 6R- in addition to other stuff.
I didn't check to see if thats his 'best' season- just looked at the actual card.

george barnard

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm

It may not have been the best season of Charles Johnson, but it does represent his best season with the team that he is most identified with. Had 2000 been nominated he would have carded with the White Sox, a team that he played exactly 44 games with.

Bill

visick

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Willie Keeler
Charles Johnson
Babe Ruth
Cecil Fielder
Gary Carter,

My 2 cents on these wasted pics.

I think having ALL ROY and MVP Seasons is a must. As well as Cy Youngs.
I also think for guys like Carter, having a players BEST season is important.
We already have Carter's best season. We should of already had Ruth's.
Theme leagues need players to fill out the lesser teams.
These choices make no sense. (Though I agree we should have Ruth's best season BA wise)

Another Carter card? He is an all time favorite Met of mine, but the Mets need a catcher for theme leagues. When the Expos and Dodgers are in the league, Carter and Piazza are gone. How about Todd Hundley? We need him over a lesser Carter card...

The Tigers have Greenberg AND Cash. And we need a 7L Fielder with bad D?

Stop using your heart guys. Use your heads...

drfreeze49

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 4:28 pm

visick wrote:Willie Keeler
Charles Johnson
Babe Ruth
Cecil Fielder
Gary Carter,

My 2 cents on these wasted pics.

I think having ALL ROY and MVP Seasons is a must. As well as Cy Youngs.
I also think for guys like Carter, having a players BEST season is important.
We already have Carter's best season. We should of already had Ruth's.
Theme leagues need players to fill out the lesser teams.
These choices make no sense. (Though I agree we should have Ruth's best season BA wise)

Another Carter card? He is an all time favorite Met of mine, but the Mets need a catcher for theme leagues. When the Expos and Dodgers are in the league, Carter and Piazza are gone. How about Todd Hundley? We need him over a lesser Carter card...

The Tigers have Greenberg AND Cash. And we need a 7L Fielder with bad D?

Stop using your heart guys. Use your heads...

Excellent Rant V..........

ScumbyJr

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Mets have a proportional number of catcher options related to their history besides Carter and Piazza. There is Berra, Grote, Nolan, Hearns, Stearns, Martin.

visick

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 5:56 pm

scumby... no offense, but ALL horrible choices. (Especially if the Yanks get to use Berra)

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I think overall the SOM player community did an outstanding job of nominating and choosing cards. FrankM grants 14 out of 20 as "Great Choices". That's a pretty good percentage.

Now a word for a few of the six cards on FrankM's "wasted vote" list:

Ruth: One of Ruth's card is as a pitcher. That leaves four. We have four Shano Collins cards, only one of which is usable. Why not, therefore, have four Ruth cards, all of which are great? Ruth's 1923 year produced the highest single season WAR of all time, and partly because it's his best defensive year. I've been wanting this card for years. Seems to me worth having, and I can't wait to try it out.

Fielder: His best year. And a 7L with 51 homers would surely be useful in 200M leagues. I haven't seen his card, but sight unseen I'd be glad to draft a 1.333 real-life OBP vs LHP at 200M.

Lynn: His card, in my mind, does several things. It covers an important piece of history--the first-ever year in which the ROY and MVP were won by the same person. It is a card of great sentimental value for Red Sox fans, a little like the Bostock card in that regard. And, it will likely cover a useful price point between Lynn's 5.65 and 9.13M cards.
Best years are great, but one reason for having multiple years by the same excellent player is to cover different price points for 60, 80, 100 & 140M leagues. Personally, I might—depending on price and the look go the card— be drafting the new Lynn in 100M and 140M leagues. Lynn's current cards are hardly used except the 9M in 200M leagues as a platoon CF. Having a historically important and truly usable Lynn card would be great, IMHO. Keeler's card might serve a similar function.

Anyway, I can see a pretty good reason why each of these 20 cards would have been nominated and voted for in a free election. One person's wasted pick might turn out to be another person's valued prize. And if a critic of Ruth's 1923 or Fielder's 1990 finds these cards beating his brains out in a future league, then the question of whether these cards were wasted votes might lead to a different answer. ;)
Last edited by Outta Leftfield on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toronto50

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 6:17 pm

some good and some bad cards...is anyone really upset if they have to take the Ruth 21 card instead of the 23..how much of an incremental difference will it make?

as we move forward i wish to see..
1.an emphasis on players that should but do not have cards ( Pedroia?),
2.the buffing up of some franchises that need some help (maybe we can assign a spokesperson to rep certain teams to nominate the card for the franchise- I can rep the Jays!!)
3. awards list players (but we certainly do not need an eric hinske card before the Pedroia).
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats