1) oops - Strat forgot where they put these
13%
2) Oh, they are still out there, but you just can't see them
No votes
3) lost, gone, never to be seen again
28%
4) the ratings got locked when a couple of guys hijacked the posts with vitriol
6%
5) They are going to come back for x-mas!
3%
6) They must be planning to bring them back...or why would there be an advanced option for leagues
16%
7) Too tough to bring back...maybe they will be replaced by win %
9%
8) sorry - got no clue what happened to them
25%

Total votes : 32

• Author

Sheikyerboudi

Re: What ever happened to manager ratings?

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 11:49 am

No Sh_t Valen :D

-The Sheik

Valen

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 1:11 am

[size=150]I would say I don't care if the manager ratings come back or not. But in truth I do. I would just as soon they never come back. At least not as they were. If I had muy preference they would return in a much less sabermetric frorm. By that I mean they would not strive to come up with one single WAR rating or whatever you wnat to call it that says this guy is best, this one is second, this on is third, and so forth to lowly this is manager rated 5,542,638,946. He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

What I would want is a return to old fashioned rating lists that let us be the judge and we could have discussions about what truly makes one the best or not the best.
Here are my lists with no overall comprehensive ratings

1- List of who has made the most playoffs
2- List of who has made it to the most finals.
3- List of who has won the most finals
4- Who has won the most total regular season games.
5- Who has the most total playoff wins.
6- Who has the most wins in the finals.
7- each of these could easily could be broken in to2 lists. Who has highest absolute total. Who has the best percentage.

paul8210

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 10:57 am

If you win 80 games with a bunch of ragamuffins, that should be important, too, in compiling meaningful ratings.

nevdully's

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 12:30 pm

The Last Druid wrote:Their failure to follow up with their stated intent to restore them is emblematic of their Lucy Van Pelt approach to customers, they don't just drop the ball, they yank it away without explanation.

So true...This site succeeds in spite of awfully poor management...Now they have 4 programmers that don't do what's been promised. :shock:

Valen

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 3:02 pm

If you win 80 games with a bunch of ragamuffins, that should be important, too, in compiling meaningful ratings.

If they are going to have ratings, especially some all inclusive rating number then strength of competition should be a component. The old standard league worth this much and advanced worth this much was a bad model. How many ratings points you get should be determined somehow factoring in how many good players were in the league.

But remembering the basic purpose of ratings was and likely will be again a tool to get people to play lots of teams in pursuit of a high spot doubt that much effort gets put in.

Roosky

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Valen wrote:[size=150]I would say I don't care if the manager ratings come back or not. But in truth I do. I would just as soon they never come back. At least not as they were. If I had muy preference they would return in a much less sabermetric frorm. By that I mean they would not strive to come up with one single WAR rating or whatever you wnat to call it that says this guy is best, this one is second, this on is third, and so forth to lowly this is manager rated 5,542,638,946. He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

What I would want is a return to old fashioned rating lists that let us be the judge and we could have discussions about what truly makes one the best or not the best.
Here are my lists with no overall comprehensive ratings

1- List of who has made the most playoffs
2- List of who has made it to the most finals.
3- List of who has won the most finals
4- Who has won the most total regular season games.
5- Who has the most total playoff wins.
6- Who has the most wins in the finals.
7- each of these could easily could be broken in to2 lists. Who has highest absolute total. Who has the best percentage.

I could care less about the most in those categories but it only shows those that join a league every other day. I would however be very interested in the percentages as you suggested in #7. As many have said it would be a big benefit to SOM.

wavygravy2k

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 1:30 pm

They could have easily started from scratch. Maybe they decided it's better without ratings.

The Last Druid wrote:we got aggregate records for each team that played in each park, also as a function of salary cap. That was a very cool thing.

I don't remember this. Can you elaborate?

EDIT: On second thought, if it was an ATG only feature maybe that's why I never heard of it.

bkeat23

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 4:33 pm

wavygravy2k wrote:They could have easily started from scratch. Maybe they decided it's better without ratings.

The Last Druid wrote:we got aggregate records for each team that played in each park, also as a function of salary cap. That was a very cool thing.

I don't remember this. Can you elaborate?

EDIT: On second thought, if it was an ATG only feature maybe that's why I never heard of it.

I don't remember what was clicked to get there, but you had a list of stadiums in which your teams had played, and the W-L records in each one. As I play 1 or 2 teams at a time, there wasn't a plethora of info. I did see some stadiums I needed to avoid ;)

Radagast Brown

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Percentages are what matters. I will put my percentages in the Mystery Leagues and 200X leagues up against ANYONE!

1. Winning percentages
2. Percentage of teams that make the playoffs
3. Percentage of teams that win championships

nevdully's

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:Percentages are what matters. I will put my percentages in the Mystery Leagues and 200X leagues up against ANYONE!

And now I remember why I don't like manager ratings.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats