Mystifying Logic

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

jfreeman

Mystifying Logic

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 pm

For the previous 8 games, my #2 hitter is out with injury. My lineup against RHP is Collins, Jud Wilson, Speaker, Duffy, O'Doul, Carew, Crawford, Wagner and Irod (all top cards). What does HAL do? Moves Speaker to the 2 spot. Who does he move to the 3 spot? Duffy? O'Doul (leading my team in most categories)? Carew? Crawford (second highest BA on my team vs RHP)? Wagner? What choice would you make? HAL chose IRod! I can't figure out a single justification for this move. Any ideas as to why? Does anyone know the logic behind this programming?

PATRICKCASSIDY

Re: Mystifying Logic

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 2:14 pm

I don't get HAL lineup sub logic either, have yet to see anyone else who does.

but, may I ask, did he 1) keep everyone else in their 'normal' spots and 2) put the sub in IRod's regular 8 hole?

Valen

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Hal probably tries to keep some power at #3. The logic also probably tries to preserve the cleanup hitter at cleanup.
So Speaker slides up and Irod is pulled from lower in lineup.

jfreeman

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 3:32 pm

PATRICKCASSIDY wrote:I don't get HAL lineup sub logic either, have yet to see anyone else who does.

but, may I ask, did he 1) keep everyone else in their 'normal' spots and 2) put the sub in IRod's regular 8 hole?

Yes - all other spots remained the same except for the 9 spot that had the injury substitute.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 6:58 pm

I-Rod was probably a better OBP guy than any sub you had and he kept the rest of the lineup in tact is my guess.

i imagine that the logic for substitutions is pretty convoluted and inscrutable, in general, though.

Valen

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:05 am

I know sometimes substitutions are less than what we would consider ideal. Frequently not what we would have done.
But to be fair try this exercise some time. Write down a set of rules. You can use plain english instead of computer jargon. But the rules have to be generic. You cannot say I have this set of players and this one is injured so I would naturally do this. Your rules have to be written without any knowledge of what players might be on a roster and what the lineup might originally look at. Might give more appreciation for how difficult it is to program this.

This is a big reason I would like per game lineups. So when I have a player returning mid-series I can have a little control over what lineup is used while injury is in effect and what to go back to once the injury has been served.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats