Why Ken Caminiti?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lafayette1

Re: Why Ken Caminiti?

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 7:23 am

I have his cheapie card-and it's a good value. Currently it's produced 80 RBI, 15 HR, about a 280 BA....and great fielding switch hitter....for under 4 Mill.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 7:47 am

Outta Leftfield wrote: Why am I more reluctant to use Bonds than Canseco. I can't really explain it, except maybe to say that Barry's taking the career HR record away from Aaron while on 'roids sort of sticks in my craw.

good, valid, admirable point, but maybe those $10M + paychecks you have to write Barry matter too?

no dis intended, just an attempt at humor

Davesodu

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Valen wrote:And probably some who do not care about the Padres but do want all the franchises represented with the best season(s) for each position for each franchise.

This is why I voted for that card. I wouldn't vote for those guys for the HoF due to PED use but there are already a lot of cards of known users in the set. I don't see a problem adding another one.

When you get an autographed baseball it may say "Carlton Fisk HOF". I don't think I ever saw an autograph say "Ken Caminiti, Strat '96". So I don't think including them in this game really matters to anyone other than us.

bontomn

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I voted for Caminiti because I play in a lot of franchise leagues and this helps make the Padres more competitive. I admit that I live in San Diego, but that had little to do with my decision. I cast all five of my votes for players who would help the weakest franchise teams (in at least one case--Mickey Vernon--because the only Strat card we have was far from his best season. I deplore the fact that so many of us thought we really needed another Babe Ruth card.

Next round, I plan to vote for more players who will help franchise/era leagues exclusively.

STEVE F

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 2:41 am

There is another level of cards that doesn't get talked about, and I can see why because they are frankly not very exciting. But, I'd like to see more options in the .50 to .80 cent bench player category. That goes for relievers too. Give us a few more Sambitos and Burgmeirs.

mykeedee

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 10:28 am

Steve F, the only people who care about the .50 to $1.00 cards are those of us who play in the 80mil and under leagues. And even some of the people who play @ 80m are using virtually useless .50 scrubs to fill out there team. IMHO the only way they will be increased is if some other entire ATG teams are added (1955 Dodgers, 1933 Senators, 1966 California Angels, etc.)

Mike

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 10:52 am

mykeedee - sounds like you came up w/ an idea - maybe you could start a thread about it, like I could see the '69 Cubs and Mets entire teams.

andycummings65

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am

PATRICKCASSIDY wrote:mykeedee - sounds like you came up w/ an idea - maybe you could start a thread about it, like I could see the '69 Cubs and Mets entire teams.

Actually, entire teams is how ATG started. That's why we have some useable subs now.

ScumbyJr

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 12:33 pm

mykeedee wrote:Steve F, the only people who care about the .50 to $1.00 cards are those of us who play in the 80mil and under leagues. And even some of the people who play @ 80m are using virtually useless .50 scrubs to fill out there team. IMHO the only way they will be increased is if some other entire ATG teams are added (1955 Dodgers, 1933 Senators, 1966 California Angels, etc.)

Mike

They are also used in theme leagues. There is a shortage of dead ball era cheap pitchers

scorehouse

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 6:51 pm

i did not vote for cammy. i voted for the old-timers, o'neill, browning, sweeney(sp), joyce and vernon. i knew Cammy when he was a rookie with biggio in houston. they used to stay after hours at a sports bar i owned and drink until the wee hours of dawn. we even had to break up a couple of fights between the two in the parking lot. not an easy task! at that time, Cammy was what you'd call "country strong". he was bow-legged like a cowboy and just plain strong. however, he wasn't very sharp. he never spoke unless spoken to and he always had a hard time understanding jokes and never laughed until others did. he never wanted to leave the bar. biggio was quite the opposite. very astute and more determined than just plain strong and talented. at that time i never saw any PED or drug abuse that later killed Cammy. but in hindsight, it's easy to see how he was led astray and didn't have a clue what he was getting himself into. some people are their own worst enemy and Cammy was the poster boy. RIP Cammy. the strat folks obviously remember you and wish to have you on their team.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats