What do you think?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Mathew Quigley

What do you think?

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 5:45 pm

I keep looking at this team and I like it. Which is probably bad and it will be a doormat. I'd like to hear opinions as they give me fresh ideas. They are in Minute Maid. I kind of wanted a sort of pitching team with pop. Dihigo will play 2nd. I had Richardson there but thought Canseco in left will get me runs.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1389713

sdajr76

Re: What do you think?

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 6:47 pm

too many holes in your lineup, and not a strong enough pitching staff to make up for them.
-steven

STEVE F

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 pm

I'd like this team a lot better in Astrodome 71 or Griffith 54

Mathew Quigley

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I keep tossing around taking 1 5 mil pitcher and turn him into sub 1 mil and turning the other 5 and the 6 into 8s.

tomwistar

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 7:32 pm

You need to spread your money around your lineup more ... too much invested in 3 guys. Look for RH power hitters in the 4-6 mil range that take advantage of your ballpark. And get a good LH obp guy or two for the top of the lineup.

You also want RH pitching that dominates RH batters, to maximize your park. Look at someone like J.R. Richard.

Mathew Quigley

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 7:46 pm

I dropped Dihigo and put McPhee at 2nd and can use the OBP and then added Williams at 3rd for more pop. Still tossing around pitching.

tomwistar

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 8:42 pm

yeah, matt williams would be a fantastic upgrade!

Mathew Quigley

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 8:52 pm

I blew it all p. I hate it when you have to wait a week to start. :x

dukie98

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Your team doesn't fit your park well, and you have invested too much in starting pitching. Judge, Hamilton and Bowa are poor fits, and there are better fits available than Clemente. Either Colavito or Bobby Bonds would be a better fit than Clemente, while still keeping the strong arm in right, and each of them hits righties better. As it currently stands, most of the other starters in your division are righties, so you should target some RH power bats who also skew righty. The 4M Vern Stephens would be a good upgrade on Bowa.

Also, I'd cut back on the amount spent on starting pitching. I'm assuming that it's a no-DH league, in light of your pitchers' hitting ratings. I'd also try to get at least one good lefty-slanted and one good righty-slanted pinch hitter. You don't need all S8* and S9* starters, since they will still get pinch hit for a fair amount -- and you also don't need a R5 as your most expensive reliever since he will usually get pinch hit for as well. Good luck.

Mathew Quigley

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks guys. According to Diamond Dope I am satisfied. OBP is up. There should be enough SLG%. Not thrilled with the errors. Still dinking with pitching but it is close to how I like it. No hrs on the pitchers card. The extra innings come in handy at times and those 2 relievers are 2 of my main guys. Rarely fail me. I also like the option of letting my starters go deep into the game or getting them out early. By getting starters with no hrs and high innings combined with a pen that can eat up innings I can adjust better. Probably just me but it is what I am comfortable with. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats