What happened to frannyzoo's post?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

What happened to frannyzoo's post?

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 pm

What happened to frannyzoo's post from last night? Did SOM pull it for language? In case you missed it he used some rather "colorful" language but his point was a good one. It's basically that this is boring and not fun anymore because no one talks on the boards anymore and its so hard to fill leagues. Now I haven't been around as long as he has but I've been around since ATG III V2 and it is totally different. Then, of course, leagues would fill super fast and the boards reflected a vibrant and lively community with a lot of different opinions. There were always great discussions on the boards and everyone had an opinion. Now someone can post a provocative/interesting topic and it might sit there a day or two or three before anyone comments. Or they may never comment. It's sad to see this community slowly die like this. But our country is dying rapidly so I guess SOM online really doesn't matter in the great scheme of things.
Last edited by lanier64 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

mike4169

Re: What happened to Whoopy Cat's post?

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 pm

You're not kidding about the decline of our country...

Maybe we could help bring it back. I'm a mega noob to this place and strat in general but if each of us convinced one person to join and try it out that we think would like it then that would be a start.

The Last Druid

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 9:53 pm

More censorship huh. Rather than have interesting boards we have vanilla. Actually not even that, "natural flavors" that resemble vanilla. SOM clearly doesn't want to offend the base but, so little remains as they have managed to alienate most everyone with their shortsighted policies, censorship being one of the more obviously egregious examples of their idiocy.

Valen

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 1:57 am

Did not read whoppy cat's post. But if it contained "colorful" language am not surprised it disappeared. They have become fairly consistent with that. I have had my share of criticism for strat but I would think educated people should be able to make a point with language that does not violate what is allowed. I will always be near the front of the line complaining if something is censored because they were critical of strat. But if something is pulled due to the language used have trouble getting indignant about that sort of culling.

To be honest I have found I can criticize extensively and even make fun of how they handle certain things. Have found doing so without the colorful language nothing is said about it. The challenge here is to formulate a statement and say something without having to resort to saying it in a way strat finds offensive.

nevdully's

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Valen wrote:Did not read whoppy cat's post. But if it contained "colorful" language am not surprised it disappeared. They have become fairly consistent with that. I have had my share of criticism for strat but I would think educated people should be able to make a point with language that does not violate what is allowed. I will always be near the front of the line complaining if something is censored because they were critical of strat. But if something is pulled due to the language used have trouble getting indignant about that sort of culling.

To be honest I have found I can criticize extensively and even make fun of how they handle certain things. Have found doing so without the colorful language nothing is said about it. The challenge here is to formulate a statement and say something without having to resort to saying it in a way strat finds offensive.

WTF!!! :mrgreen:

stratfanSkip

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 1:39 pm

nevdully's wrote:
Valen wrote:Did not read whoppy cat's post. But if it contained "colorful" language am not surprised it disappeared. They have become fairly consistent with that. I have had my share of criticism for strat but I would think educated people should be able to make a point with language that does not violate what is allowed. I will always be near the front of the line complaining if something is censored because they were critical of strat. But if something is pulled due to the language used have trouble getting indignant about that sort of culling.

WTF!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously Nev, is that type of language really necessary??? :lol:
To many teams, not enough time! Must be an addiction!!

frannyzoo

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 pm

I'll admit I haven't been paying that close of attention, but I think I had a post with "colorful" language that may or may not have been confused with that of WhoopyCat. Evidently both of us were complaining, or maybe it was just me, or just him...I dunno, and the Fearless Leaders decided it/we were too exciting to stick around.

And that, my friends, goes to show how boring it is here these days.

Alright, where was my FM14 team? My Norwich FC can beat your Mickey Mantle any day, I suppose. Go Canaries!

P.S.: Just read your post, Valen, about proper decorum concerning the boards here. I could not agree more. For instance, the phrase "boring as fuck" can easily be replaced with "emasculating to any mental activity, regardless of gender." We can play that game all day/night long, and, while playing it would far exceed the fun had playing this game, one thinks other Internet avenues provide more than abundant chances to exercise those verbal/mental muscles.

Meanwhile, here it's simply a matter of not quite understanding that Netplay + Internet = Crazy Delicious. Instead we have video games without any actual play, and lack of social connection, as if the Internet since 1998 had never happened.

Oh well, my Southern colleague told us "we can't go home again." Guess the bastard was right? I can write, "bastard" can't I?

Enjoy.

lanier64

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 12:02 am

frannyzoo wrote:

I'll admit I haven't been paying that close of attention, but I think I had a post with "colorful" language that may or may not have been confused with that of WhoopyCat. Evidently both of us were complaining, or maybe it was just me, or just him...I dunno, and the Fearless Leaders decided it/we were too exciting to stick around.

You're absolutely right! My apologies to WhoopyCat. But your point is an excellent one frannyzoo and I agree. We need to spice this thing up again. Call me naive but I thing we can make this more interesting. Not like it was, but better than it is currently.

sdajr76

Re: What happened to frannyzoo's post?

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 4:47 am

please, let's.
-steven

Valen

Re: What happened to frannyzoo's post?

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 am

the phrase "boring as fuck" can easily be replaced with "emasculating to any mental activity, regardless of gender

I too agree with you. Of course one could say boring as heck, boring as watching paint dry, boring as all get out. A million other ways to get that same point across. Even if boring as fuck was only offensive to 5% of people why offend those 5%? Or are you saying that using the word fuck is the only way you can be entertained?

You see I have read a lot of your posts. And I am certain you could get your point across without it. I am certain you could be just as entertaining without using it. My question is why does adult have to mean needing such things for entertainment. Personally I could care less about so called colorful language. I can easily ignore it unless it is directed at me in a personal face to face context and then things would not end well. But just as they no longer bother me just reading them they also do not entertain me at all. Such things were maybe funny back in middle school. I out grew finding it funny when someone says poopie, or dodo or whatever just because they said it. I need actual substance to be entertained.

That brings me back to the original post here. The conjecture that a post or posts were removed because they contained colorful language. Since I see that as no more entertaining than saying "like" every other word I see no reason for it. So if the moderators wish to delete it just see that as their right as owners of the boards.

At any rate whether I find it entertaining or offensive or neutral and meaningless those who control these boards are free to set the rules. To me it is a lot like walking in to another person's house. Surely you would abide by their house rules. I know you would honor my house rules even if you disagreed. I just do not think that having a standard like that, enforcing it equally to all, makes any discussion less interesting. So why not just leave it out and say what we mean in a more socially responsible way. With a little practice you would find
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats