New 6 team Themed league. Best Era of All Time

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

prjr

New 6 team Themed league. Best Era of All Time

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 9:14 am

Let's decide the best era of all time! Baseball history is conveniently divided into 6 basic eras to form a 6-team league with each era represented once. For purpose of this league they will be; Dead Ball Era (-1919), Lively Ball Era (1920-1939), Integration Era (1940-1959), Expansion Era (1960-1979), Free Agent Era (1980-1999), Present Day Era (2000-). Choose your era (no duplicates), draft your team with only player cards from that era. Any cross over players are first come, first serve. Negro League Players are available first come, first serve for the first three era's only as the last three era's were already integrated. Since there have been 70+ years of no dh, and only 40+ years of 1/2 dh it will be a no dh league. No waivers since we basically have little to no competition for the same players. Reference your era in your team name so others know what's still available. Ballpark should also be from corresponding era.

JEROMEWILKINS

Re: New 6 team Themed league. Best Era of All Time

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 12:27 am

I think you would be better off if you raised the salary cap to 140 mil. That way you will then get to pick the best players of your era ...which is the purpose. Just my 2 cents. I know I would join at the higher cap. Also I assume the stadium you select has to also be within your selected era. Not sure if you had that in the description. Either way good luck with the league. I love the concept.

prjr

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 8:07 am

JEROMEWILKINS wrote:I think you would be better off if you raised the salary cap to 140 mil. That way you will then get to pick the best players of your era ...which is the purpose. Just my 2 cents. I know I would join at the higher cap. Also I assume the stadium you select has to also be within your selected era. Not sure if you had that in the description. Either way good luck with the league. I love the concept.

Yes, the last sentence of the post instructs to choose stadium from corresponding era. I just cant' get excited about 100mil + leagues. To me, the strategy of assembling a team is the best part of the online game. At high salary caps so many tough choices don't have to be made. When your starting 8 plus your rotation can average $8mil per player the fun of selecting quality backup, utility and role players is gone. You don't have to finesse the bottom part of your lineup to be productive and cost effective. Your backups are really irrelevant. I guess my thought is that an $80mil or (gasp) even a $60mil team will be more representative of the era. I like some realism. Give me that $3mil starter who wins 15 games, or the backup catcher who comes through when the starter goes down for 15 games. And of course, that's my two cents.

PJ Axelsson

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 pm

I loved the idea, but the 80m cap keeps me out. If I'm doing an era theme, I want to be able to use the good players from that era, not compromise because of a budget. With this breakdown, I think you could up the cap, but it's your league.

Have fun!

;)

prjr

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 9:28 am

PJ Axelsson wrote:I loved the idea, but the 80m cap keeps me out. If I'm doing an era theme, I want to be able to use the good players from that era, not compromise because of a budget. With this breakdown, I think you could up the cap, but it's your league.

Have fun!

;)

Fair enough, but I like the idea of having a more representative team from each era. One consisting of the superstars of the era as well as the very good and good. Yes compromises are made based on one's budget but that's where the value of the GM comes into play. ;) Just like All-star games really prove nothing about which league is better, I feel the same about higher cap leagues. Don't be shy give it a go! Show off those GM skills! :D

tmm6883

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 pm

When I saw this league I loved the idea, but I just tried to fill each of the two remaining spots and it's the hardest league I've ever tried to fill a team for. The cap is just too low.

mike4169

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 9:37 am

I joined so the others could play but it's absolutely too low of a cap for the 2000+. There aren't enough low salary players to field a decent team. I enjoy a challenge though so gave it a shot. Just a fyi I drafted guys pre 2000 at lower salaries that I will switch to 2000+ once I can organize it (if I even get them). I expect maybe a 20 win season lmao

prjr

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 am

mike4169 wrote:I joined so the others could play but it's absolutely too low of a cap for the 2000+. There aren't enough low salary players to field a decent team. I enjoy a challenge though so gave it a shot. Just a fyi I drafted guys pre 2000 at lower salaries that I will switch to 2000+ once I can organize it (if I even get them). I expect maybe a 20 win season lmao

You're a stand up guy. I'm ok with a few pre 2000's if the other owners are on board. I was thinking maybe you could reach back as far as 1990 to get some of the low salaries needed. We'll sort that out with the other owners after the draft. Glad you're up for a challenge. I realized after the league was formed that the 2000+ team would be extra difficult at $80mil. But, I'd still rather make a few tweaks for the 2000+ team than bump the sal cap. and create a bunch of uber-teams with no real weaknesses. Thanks again and thanks to all the owners for moving ahead with this grand experiment!

mike4169

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 12:47 pm

My pleasure I love the idea. It's ok we don't have to change the rules I will do my best as is.

nevdully's

PostWed Nov 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Interesting that clearly at the lower caps the best "and" deepest pool of usable choices by far is the era prjr chose for himself....swim with sharks get eaten by sharks :mrgreen:
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats