cell/smart phones

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ursoid

Re: cell/smart phones

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 9:31 pm

I'll second rburgh's recommendation of the Motorola phones - I switched to Verizon a couple of years ago in order to replace a Galaxy with the Droid RAZR. Motorola phones do provide much better battery life, unless you're using them as a GPS (then you better have them plugged in). My Galaxy just never held a charge without being plugged in during the day.

Valen

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Have not had problems yet with getting low on battery. But then as expected I am not a heavy user.
Posted on the cnet forums about this. Got one useless response from a guy who apparently just signs on to the forums so can complain about what questions get asked. Second guy was really helpful pointing me to how to locate and disable apps.

I made a list of all the apps installed and will spend time next week researching each to verify what it does and whether it is really needed and/or the consequences of disabling. Have gone through all the apps and restricted background data use. That alone cut data usage to less than 10 MB a week. A little annoyed I needed to do that. Also a little annoyed when I view the permissions on each app almost everyone one has the right to do access everything about my phone and account. Would prefer some manner to specify what each one could and could not do.

Otherwise though think I am going to be ok, at least for another year or two. I can make calls, receive the sms messages needed to log in to work system, and play my music. I just gotta remember to start carrying the little headphones with me again. :lol:

Valen

PostThu Feb 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Have to wonder if metro pcs sold my numbers to telemarketing lists. Since switching calls from hello senior, lower interest rates, and similar have become an hourly headache. I know there is a call reject list but it only lets you block 100 numbers. And since these fools use a different number each time ......

Is there a way to block all these calls once and for all? And before anyone mentions it my numbers are already on the do not call registry. Personally I think the telemarketers subscribe to that to get a list of numbers to call. :lol:

But seriously, how do you guys handle this? Have a galaxy S4 and a galaxy light.

paolocosmo

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Valen,
I have the same problem with my galaxy s4 with t-mobile; for some reason, I even get calls from foreign countries!

Valen

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Currently adding each new call to the call reject list and then editing out all but the part that represents the area code and then changing to match anything that starts with that. But the list only allows 100 numbers. At the rate it is filling up will be out of slots by the middle of summer.

There has to be an app that has a database of these spam numbers and blocks them. But I do not want to just download any old app given all the permissions these apps ask for upon install and do not want to pay a fortune in monthly charges just to avoid these.

The do not call government registry is a waste of time.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats