Shibe Park

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

Shibe Park

PostSat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Anyone out there in Stratland seen a game in Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium? The Phillies played there through the 1970 season. I can remember seeing it on TV a couple of times in the 60s when I was a kid. I have always been fascinated by old "square" parks. The double deck in left field is cool too.

ralphien

Re: Shibe Park

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 4:26 pm

I was too young (ony 4 when Phils moved to Veteran's Stadium) but ironically I was just talking about Connie Mack Stadium with my Mom. I was asking her questions about my Dad's favorite players when he was in high school since they dated all the way through high school and married right after graduation. She talked about how amazing it was to walk from the street into Connie Mack Stadium because the stadium was in "such a bad part of town" as she said but once inside, it felt like you were being transported to another place entirely and even though she wasn't much of a baseball fan, she enjoyed going to Connie Mack. I wish I would have had more baseball conversations with my Dad before he passed.

lanier64

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 1:04 pm

ralphien wrote:

I wish I would have had more baseball conversations with my Dad before he passed.

Me too.

carr20

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Yes, I did. I live 100 miles from Philly and went to a game a year from 1962 through late 60's (age 6 onward).
I was supposed to go the 1964 World Series, but that didn't happen.

What I remember most about the stadium was the big imposing right field wall and the huge "Ballantine Beer" scoreboard in right center. And if memory serves, we always went to a doubleheader vs. the Giants, which was great because I got to see Willie Mays play.

Steve

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats