Trivia Question

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rburgh

Trivia Question

PostThu Oct 09, 2014 12:45 am

Two separate one-time events occurred in the last inning of an Orioles' game in 1983. They were followed by an event that was seen only one other time.

What were they?

Davesodu

Re: Trivia Question

PostThu Oct 09, 2014 10:16 am

I forget when Len Sakata was catching but it could have been '83. Tippy Martinez allowed 3 Toronto players to reach 1st base and picked off all 3. I would think that was the only time that ever happened.

ScumbyJr

PostThu Oct 09, 2014 1:03 pm

technically Martinez only picked off two batters. The first guy just continued on to second and was officially caught stealing

Outta Leftfield

PostThu Oct 09, 2014 2:00 pm

We have that 1983 season in ATG8 and his Tippy's hold rating is -2. I wonder if it shouldn't be -5?

I've often wondered if the hold ratings SOM assigns have any basis in reality. Does anyone know if pickoffs are a stat recorded anywhere? And are stolen bases against / or SB percentage used as stats in calculating hold ratings?

These ratings can vary quite considerably. On one of my current teams, 3 of my pitchers have -4 holds, and one has +5. That's a pretty big difference, but does it have some kind of basis in fact? I don't know....

Valen

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 1:59 pm

In the strat model hold ratings have little or no relationship to ability to pick off runners.
It is a function of SB% against and frequency of attempts against.
Though given how most of us will manage teams the SB% gets lost as we tend to look at the the chances of success after factoring together steal ratings numbers, pitcher hold, and catcher throwing arm. Greater than 1-13 runner goes, less he stays with an occasional exception. At least that is roughly how I do it playing live rolling the dice. Who knows how HAL is programmed.

But that is technically off topic. So tell us rburgh are we on the right trail with this Martinez pickoff thing?
Are you going to reveal the answer or give more hints?

rburgh

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 4:32 pm

You guys are pretty good. Sakata caught the top of the tenth, Tippy picked off the house, and in the bottom of the inning, Sakata hit his 2nd of 2walk off homers.

rolandzeut

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 5:14 pm

After a little googlin' here's the box score/ play-by-play:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 8240.shtml

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats