Question regarding Franchise League Drafts

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ragnarokpc

Question regarding Franchise League Drafts

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi there, my buddy and I were planning on setting up a Franchise League for $140 mil. We were planning to allow players that ever played for a franchise, not just players that were carded ( so Babe Ruth could be on the Braves, etc.). We hit a snag when it came to the draft. We originally thought live draft, but then my friend thought it would be too much research to do quickly for each round. My counter argument is that with a standard draft, you could derail several people by someone picking your choice ahead of you, and having the computer pick an ineligible guy instead, which could create a domino effect. What draft style do you typically prefer for Franchise leagues?

The other question I have is if the commissioner has any control over the draft order. I was considering that I would reverse the order for picking teams for the player draft; so if you get the first pick for franchise, you get the last pick of players. Is this possible? Or does the computer just randomly select the draft order? Thanks.

drfreeze49

Re: Question regarding Franchise League Drafts

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Having run several...here is how we did it...

1. Franchises in play
2. Negro League supplements
3. High card 1st choice then anybody who played for that franchise after the auto draft
4. get 12 players to sign up
5. Random Generator to see who selects 1st
6. If NEL players how many and selection process
7. $$ amount dh or no DH
8. Then draft on ILC
9. Good Luck

I think I got it covered but there are some Managers that can add to the list

Mr Baseball World

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 2:09 pm

You could pick your teams on the boards and then do the player draft on diamond dope. Gives people time but avoids the autodraft issues.

mrharryc

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Just to supplement the good points DrFreeze made...

A couple of franchise leagues I've played in have allowed team owners, once franchises are selected, to select any player who has ever played for that squad via auto draft; this injects some intrigue because, for instance, if one has the Pirates franchise, do you place Bonds at the top of your list and hope you select before the Giants? Doing so might expose Vaughan or Kiner to another club and you could lose one, two or all three.

Usually, if you supplement players, with NeLers or with players from non-selected franchises, you need to establish some reverse order or some limitation; invariably the Yankees are selected first and you wouldn't want them to add a Josh Gibson and/or a top player such as Frank Thomas or George Brett (from two franchises not often selected) if they had a top pick in the supplementary phase.

I think it's generally accepted that lower cap numbers help level the playing field in these leagues. Whatever you choose, there are a lot of veteran franchise aficionados who will be eager to both join and to help with establishing/tweaking the parameters.

Ragnarokpc

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm not sure what this means - "3. High card 1st choice then anybody who played for that franchise after the auto draft" Can you clarify this?

I've also never used ILC nor Diamond Dope for drafts. No idea how that works. I'm starting to think I should let someone else run this.

drfreeze49

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 3:22 pm

Ragnarokpc wrote:I'm not sure what this means - "3. High card 1st choice then anybody who played for that franchise after the auto draft" Can you clarify this? [b]Lets say You have the Giants as your Franchise as long as you draft Bonds he would be yours since his highest dollard card is for the Giants, however if you don't place him on your card then the Pirates could snag him in waivers...same as Nap Lajoie higest Card is A's but if left undrafted the Indians and or the Phillies since he played for them too would have a shot at him in waviers...[/b]

I've also never used ILC nor Diamond Dope for drafts. The ILC or Individual league chat is where you can get things rolling after you established the draft order...this way players can ask questions and draft in order the franchises and any supplemental picks No idea how that works. I'm starting to think I should let someone else run this.

Finally here is a way for review a league we previously did http://forum.onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=636222&sid=868c7bf7b51a31dad97137c945044f48

Valen

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 5:37 pm

you could derail several people by someone picking your choice ahead of you, and having the computer pick an ineligible guy instead

I would not see a problem here. Say my franchise is Detroit. True, under the conditions you describe Mays would be eligible for both the Mets and the Giants. So 2 teams might pick him and one of them will miss. It is possible they could be awarded Cobb if he were not on my draft list. But if I do not draft Cobb I should have no right to expect to receive him. So you could not say the other team derailed me.

Ragnarokpc

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Diamond Dope is looking pretty good - would you guys suggest any kind of time limit, or just leave that off? Also, the only other problem I see there is I can't sort by team - is that something on my end, or is it something DD has yet to get working?

The way we do these leagues usually, is players are only available to franchises that can select them. Let's say you are Detroit, and no one selected the A's - you would be the only one who could pick him up. You may place him lower in your draft order, but let's say you put him at #5. In the scenario you describe, one of the teams trying for Mays gets Cobb. Now you get Musial instead. The team wanting Musial dropped him to #7, since no one else was supposed to get him. They get Duke Snider instead. This is what I am talking about, a domino effect that could affect several teams. it isn't necessarily likely, but could create huge problems that could make waivers a royal pain.

I don't think we'd do High card first, it really does inject strategy into the draft. I have several players from my favorite franchise that would be safe regardless, but some I'd need to protect. And since my team has weaknesses is some areas, do I protect my own players, or try to nab another player? I think the DD draft will work. I'll get working on the league specifics and post soonish.

Davesodu

PostThu Oct 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Ragnarokpc wrote:You may place him lower in your draft order, but let's say you put him at #5. In the scenario you describe, one of the teams trying for Mays gets Cobb. Now you get Musial instead. The team wanting Musial dropped him to #7, since no one else was supposed to get him. They get Duke Snider instead. This is what I am talking about, a domino effect that could affect several teams. it isn't necessarily likely, but could create huge problems that could make waivers a royal pain.

If Cobb is a Tiger then no one else should have him on the draft list at all. So the Tigers would get Cobb. If Mays was on the draft list of 2 different teams the losing team wouldn't get Cobb, they would get the next best CF after the draft is over. Since Cobb was on the Tigers list he wouldn't go to any other team. Usually the drafts go pretty smooth because of this.

OldDirtRoad

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Also , I would add rule that if you had a player that was NEVER on your team, you have to drop him and add a player from your said team..if that makes sense..the work would be well worth it. At least to me.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats