PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT WHEN CHOOSING WHO TO ADD 2 ATG

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

2cityfan

Re: PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT WHEN CHOOSING WHO TO ADD 2

PostFri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Rburgh, I love what you outlined for Atg 9.. Is it really going to happen?

divad

PostSat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

STAN MUSIAL SHOULD NOT BE LISTED AS A CF! Rightfield, Firstbase or Leftfield would be more representative than CF.

Ursoid

PostSat Oct 11, 2014 9:34 pm

divad wrote:STAN MUSIAL SHOULD NOT BE LISTED AS A CF! Rightfield, Firstbase or Leftfield would be more representative than CF.

In 1948, the only card in the set with a CF rating, he started more games in center than either left or right, at least according to baseballreference.com.

bontomn

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 12:43 am

Agree 100 percent with 2cityfan. Also agree with rburgh (although, admittedly, that would be a lot for SOM to bite off in one year. But if they would just add a few players to each era/franchise team every few months, it could happen).

rburgh

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 12:06 pm

It would take 3-5 years for them to roll my proposed ATG 9 card set out. They could accelerate that by having multiple team polls going at once. But I think it would be a great way for them to reconnect with the community here after the turmoil of the past 18 months or so. And the card set would be awesome.

FRANKMANSUETO

PostSun Oct 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Actually how difficult would it be to:
1. Add the cards we want.
2. Add cards to the franchises that need help.
3. Have enough cards for decade leagues.
4. Have an option to create your own player sets. See #3.
5. Add options for 6, 8, 12, 16 and 24 team leagues.

I am sure I am missing other options that have been voice but may as well start somewhere.

visick

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 8:18 am

Good questions...

What I don't understand is why some guys vote for cards, of the more contemporary players, that aren't their best years?

ie. Bichette, Galaragga, Edgar Martinez etc... Even when we have a best card, ie. Chipper, guys vote for a lesser card?

Get the best seasons from these guys and help out the franchises that need help so 2city, Andy and drfreeze can create some kicka ss leagues!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

toronto50

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 9:38 am

why not just frequently (monthly) bring out 20 or so new cards that are voted on by the people WHO ACTUALLY PLAY SOM/ATG? seems simple and maintains regular interest

Valen

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 10:55 am

What I don't understand is why some guys vote for cards, of the more contemporary players, that aren't their best years? ie. Bichette, Galaragga, Edgar Martinez etc

One can never say for sure what is in the mind of another. But I can think of a few reasons someone might do this.
Take Mantle for example. Suppose we just had the 56 and 61 cards and the 59 card was offered up for us to vote on. There could be people who play lower caps who would vote for the 59 card because it would allow them to use Mantle in CF without breaking their bank. So agree that 59 $9 mil card probably useless to people who play only higher caps where only the $14 or $12 mil card is used.

In the case of Bichette and Galaragga specifically one might vote for Galaragga because the 2 cards we have are Montreal cards. The new one is an Atlanta card. Easy to see why Atlanta fans would vote for it. On Bichette when I search bic all that is returned is Vern Bickford. So people may have voted for him even though 93 not his best year 95 when he was 2nd in MVP, or one of his allstar years were available to give a vote to. On Martinez we have his 92 card. But the defensive numbers make him a marginal use third baseman, especially at higher caps. It was also iffy as a DH at higher caps as there were so many options for DH. The 97 card we were offered has higher OBP and more HR power. Defensive ratings probably still will not get him in field but the offensive side might be sufficiently better to make him a more desirable option at DH.

Another reason as mentioned on the Galaragga card one might vote for a lesser season because the new card offered played for a different city which makes it attracive for fans of that city's team.

And if I give in to my skeptical side a reason for voting for a lesser card is it gives a person the opportunity to autodraft a cheaper version of a card so they can list better players over all with plans of switching to the more expensive card after waivers. I know none of us would do that. ;) But might be some who do. To be clear I did not vote for any new card on this basis. My personal voting mindset was to scan through for any pitchers from a cadillac season as first priority. Then looked for hitters of more modern vintage.

visick

PostMon Oct 13, 2014 12:36 pm

"And if I give in to my skeptical side a reason for voting for a lesser card is it gives a person the opportunity to autodraft a cheaper version of a card so they can list better players over all with plans of switching to the more expensive card after waivers. I know none of us would do that. ;) But might be some who do. To be clear I did not vote for any new card on this basis. My personal voting mindset was to scan through for any pitchers from a cadillac season as first priority. Then looked for hitters of more modern vintage."

I doubt Strat takes that into account. But if that were the case, we still need the best years ($$$) from these guys, and a not so good cheaper year for that to work.

Even though guys might be carded for different teams, usually in them leagues, you are allowed to use a player that played for your franchise. It would be nice for teams in ATG like ARZ, COL and others to be able to field a squad.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats