THANK YOU KEITH OLBERMANN...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Sheikyerboudi

Re: THANK YOU KEITH OLBERMANN...

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Not being a Yankee fan or even a Jeter fan (I'm a lifelong Dodger fan), I will say this - he was a lifelong Yankee, not a "bought" Yankee, he played hard and sometimes extremely good day in and day out. He did nothing to harm his reputation or that of the Yankees or MLB. He never smack-talked. He never played on a losing Yankee team. Will he be in the hall? I've definitely seen worse make it. I respect him as a player because he worked hard and played the game the way it should be played. I would have loved to have had him in Los Angeles all these years.

-The Sheik

ROBERTLATORRE

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 am

Post Season Stats

158 games (38 WS, 54 ALCS, 66 ALDS).

Batting
650 ABs
200 Hits
32 Doubles
20 HR
111 Runs (WS 32)
.308 AVG (WS .321)
.374 OBP (WS .384)
.465 SLG (WS .449)
.838 OPS
302 TB

Fielding
16 Errors in 711 chances, .9775 Fielding Pct. (WS .983)

All of this against the BEST teams. Hard to argue with, even for the Jeter haters.

visick

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 10:02 am

Why can't Yankee fans be critical of their demi god?

Maybe if he was a true leader, he would have asked to bat lower?
Or maybe take a number of days off?
Or maybe DH?

Here's something... maybe just maybe, he was a part of the reason they aren't in the post season now?

ROBERTLATORRE

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 4:47 pm

visick wrote:Why can't Yankee fans be critical of their demi god?

Maybe if he was a true leader, he would have asked to bat lower?
Or maybe take a number of days off?
Or maybe DH?

Here's something... maybe just maybe, he was a part of the reason they aren't in the post season now?

Do I wish he retired 2-3 years ago, absolutely. But I am a Yankee fan and fans are biased. I still think, even if you are a Jeter hater, he's one of the best shortstops since Ozzie.

If I need to pick a SS for my team and I have all era's I would start with Ozzie for the speed and glove, pre steroid A-Rod or Banks for the power. Jeets would be further down, but an early ballot HOF-er nonetheless.

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 5:45 pm

OK, cards on the table. I'm a lifelong Yankee fan. I've been around long enough to have seen Yogi Berra catch, Whitey Ford pitch, and Mantle and Maris hit homers in the same game at the Stadium in their pursuit of Ruth's record in 1961. I also endured the bad years between 1965 & 1975, when the Yanks were not merely a bad team, but downright boring team. All through this time, I've stayed a Yankee fan, and I've enjoyed watching Jeter play while sometimes getting a little tired of the adulation that has so often been heaped on him.

The issue with Jeter is that he's an extremely good player without being, really, one of the greatest of all time. He does have a hard-to-define aura, which his part of his charm and also a source of the annoyance he seems to generate. When Jeter i's treated as an all time great by an adoring press, that can be a bit wearing. But that doesn't dim his excellence as a player.

Clearly he's not the greatest player of all time--a straw man that Olbermann goes out of his way to demolish, but why? Jeter's not even close to being the greatest Yankee of all time. And he's not the greatest shortstop of all time. But he is, I think more or less beyond question, the greatest Yankee shortstop of all time—and that's not a bad thing to be, given the Yankees long history. Rizzuto would be a distant second.

Now, where should one rank Jeter, overall, in Yankee history. I think the real elite would be Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Dimaggio, Berra, and Mo Rivera. Jeter really isn't in that class.

I the guys he seems to sort of rank with in overall quality would be pitchers--Whitey Ford and Red Ruffing. The sheer length of his career as a Yankee seems to put him ahead of most other competitors from his only team. The Scooter had a better glove, but Derek was a far, far better hitter, and he had a much longer career. I would put him a bit ahead of Bill Dickey and ahead of Reggie and Rickey if we judge them solely on their Yankee careers. Judging players solely on their careers as Yankees, I think we have to see Jeter as a top-10 all time Yankee, but somewhere down in the bottom half of the top 10.

Among the all-time SS, he surely belongs, in my mind, behind Wagner and Ripken. After that it gets a bit murky--Jeter was a better hitter than many of his competitors, and he had a really long career, but his fielding was not equal to some of the other SS greats. Also, Jeter was a pure SS for his entire career, while some competitors, such as Yount and Ernie Banks, moved to other positions later in their careers. It's debatable how to account for that. All in all, I'd probably put Jeter in the top ten SS of all time, but again, somewhere in the 2nd half of the top ten.

Anyone have other thoughts about where he ranks as either a Yankee or a SS?

ROBERTLATORRE

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 pm

Leftfield, I think you about nailed it.

He'll get a monument in Monument Park, because of the aura and length of his career, but in my opinion it should be a retired number and a plaque, no monument.

lanier64

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Outta Leftfield wrote:
Anyone have other thoughts about where he ranks as either a Yankee or a SS?

As I said before the negative defensive WAR and negative defensive runs saved really stood out for me. It's kind of startling that he hurt his team that much defensively. As to where he stands? We could argue till the cows come home. He wouldn't be in a top ten or maybe even 15 for all time shortstops.

STEVE F

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 6:36 pm

I think Leftfield sums it up pretty well.

3465 hits is automatic HOF regardless of any other stats.

The defense has always been the issue with me when ranking him among the all time shortstops, and I don't need defensive WAR to tell me how bad he was. Anyone who's watched him play a significant number of games should be able to see that with their own eyes. And I"m talking in his prime. He was a mess fundamentally, always back on his heels, cheating towards 2b to make up for his inability to make the great play in the hole, throwing off balance even when he had plenty of time to plant and make a good throw. I played SS myself and hell, I was better fundamentally, and I wasn't even that good (never even scouted )(I couldn't hit)).

andycummings65

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Nice post Outta Leftfield

visick

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Does anyone know how or why guys like Ripken, Yount or Banks moved to a new position?

I'm curious. Perhaps, somebody in the organization may have brought it up. Perhaps they did. I just don't know the facts.

Why wasn't it done with Jeter?
Fear of hurting his feelings?

In this day and age of Sabermetrics, I'm sure somebody knew these defensive #'s.

How about a little self awareness on his part? How about "taking one for the team"? How about DH'ing? Or batting lower in the lineup?

Like I mentioned, I'm just really glad somebody in the media had the testicular fortitude to speak the truth.

Enough is enough with #2 already.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats