THANK YOU KEITH OLBERMANN...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

Re: THANK YOU KEITH OLBERMANN...

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm

I.strether wrote:

ROBERTLATORRE wrote:

Unitas, Marino and Peyton DEFINED the position in their eras, Brady executed in a superior system in a passing friendly era.

My last comment on the subject no matter how much you parse it.

Whether or not they "DEFINED" their position in their eras (as you say) is irrelevant. Brady was a superior passer in everyway to Marino and Unitas, and a superior quarterback as well.

Considering your present comment, and your avoiding addressing statistical facts, it's probably best you don't comment further.

Let's get back on topic. Jester, shortstops!!!

l.strether

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 pm

Robert made the initial Brady comment, and I responded to it. The threads go that way sometimes. But, yes, back to Jeter.

lanier64

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 pm

In ATG Jeter has three cards. A 1e14, 1e17, and 2e10. I don't think he is a 1 in any universe. Unless you believe in the infinite multiverse theory and that he has to be a 1 in at least one of the universes but of course in that universe Prince Fielder would be svelt 190 pounds and Pete Rose is not a butthead.

Ed

STEVE F

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 12:27 pm

lanier64 wrote:In ATG Jeter has three cards. A 1e14, 1e17, and 2e10. I don't think he is a 1 in any universe. Unless you believe in the infinite multiverse theory and that he has to be a 1 in at least one of the universes but of course in that universe Prince Fielder would be svelt 190 pounds and Pete Rose is not a butthead.

Ed

Even the 2e10 is generous :lol:

visick

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 pm

and for Andycummings earlier post... D) Had Spencer hit the cut off man

Outta Leftfield

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Valen, thanks for the clarification on Mussina's role, backing up the catcher...

visick wrote:and for Andycummings earlier post... D) Had Spencer hit the cut off man

I've sometimes wondered whether Giambi could have been nailed had Spencer hit the cut off man. Tino had a good, accurate arm for a first baseman, but he would have had to catch the ball, then turn and fire a really strong throw to Posada. Since Jeter had only a short flip, he could make the transfer much more quickly. Giambi didn't slide, I believe, because he didn't expect there to be any play at the plate.

I think Posada did get the tag on Giambi. It looks to me like Jorge caught the back of Giambi's calf with his glove. Anyway, they'll usually give the catcher the call if the ball gets in ahead of the runner. There was no argument, I think, from the Oakland bench.

All that said, I agree that the range ratings Jeter gets in SOM are way over the top. However, they reflect a widely held view, which helps to explain why Jeter has the big press. My point all along is that if Jeter was really that good on defense, he would almost deserve his present level of admiration—though even as a Yankee fan, I could do without all the hype.

JEROMEWILKINS

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 3:41 pm

The only thing you anti Yankee nit wit fans are missing is that Jeter is a god to the Yankee fans under the age of 40. We the older Yankee/ baseball fans have no illusions. He is at best near the bottom of the top ten Yankees. I know I am not seeing anyone in my lifetime crack the top 4 ..Ruth, Gehrig, Mick and Joe D. So Yankee fans will be perfectly satisfied with those 4 plus a few others and shake our heads when other franchises are lucky to have two players in the top 20 of all time and the Yanks boast no less than 5 or 6. So we will be all dead and buried and the jealous ones will still be wondering what slim realities they can hold on to to discredit the greatest franchise in sports...and why I am at it. I would like to thank the saber metric stats for creating stars out of bums by trying to put playing defense into stats (no question these braniacs could never have played any ball) and even worst trying to convince me that some of the new players like Trout are as good as some of the greats. yes...he is good but he does strike out about 150-200 times a year. I may be wrong but if you look back pretty much if you were an elite player hitting 35+ hrs and batting +.300 you were not striking out 200 times a game. Yes...yes .....yes...we know the relief pitchers are better but still no excuse for no contact on a third of your at bats. In my perfect world hitters will also learn again how to hit to the opposite field....a thing Mr Jeter was pretty good at.

JEROMEWILKINS

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Obviously that last entry should have said striking out 200 times a season...not 200 times a game. Don't think any player is that bad.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats