Hitting vs Pitching; where is the strat?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Overwatch009

Re: Hitting vs Pitching; where is the strat?

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 4:54 pm

lanier64 wrote:Ther are almost 700 players in the deadball set so we could have a deadball league if anyone is interested. Each of the 16 original teams has 26 to 70 players and there are a few oddballs like Joe Kelly with the National League Baltimores. But they all have a db designation by their team so you could even easily do an auto draft and just drop any non db players in favor of db players. This used to be a sortable set for leagues and I think they got rid of it after ATG III or ATG IV but they kept the designations. I just wish you select a league for deadball only. The only problem would be Ruth 20 as the era is defined as 1920 and before. Well it was deadball for everyone except Ruth. So I think Ruth 20 would have to be excluded but you could use Ruth 16, the pitcher. Any how if there is any interest in a deadball league I'd be up for it.

Ed

I would be interested much. Dead ball era players are very interesting to me and a league dedicated to the deadball era style of play would be cool. I think it could be a lot of fun to see how those players perform in a restricted environment like that.

lanier64

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 pm

OK then I'll start a sign-up sheet for a deadball league and create the league after it fills. I am not going to make the mistake again of creating the league before we fill it. Look for the new post.

hackra

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Here is a link to an all dead ball league I am currently in. It is a $60 mil cap, and that 1920 Babe Ruth is playing (he was not excluded).

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/424751

So far it has been very interesting (although we are just in the start of the season).

There is just barely enough players for a 12 team league of all deadball (we did exclude negro leagues players), so a 24 team league would not work for lack of scrubs or cheap bullpen men.

8-)

Overwatch009

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Looks like pitching could truly dominate if you commit enough money to it. Can't wait to try that myself.

Overwatch009

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 10:51 am

More specifically to my point: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/stats/teams/424450

You will notice the Nasty Nomads have twice the home run production of second place. They are also slugging .130 more than the nearest rival. I mean a team slugging of .606 seems crazy even for a group of greats, especially pre-war only players. If you look at the standings, they have an unreal +115 run differential after only 27 games. With a lineup of almost entirely leftys, and Penmar showing the way, this team is not even in the same league as the other teams they are competing against. I'm sorry, but this seems like gaming the system.

If this is working as intended, my apologies.

dukie98

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 10:56 am

Overwatch009 wrote:More specifically to my point: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/stats/teams/424450

You will notice the Nasty Nomads have twice the home run production of second place. They are also slugging .130 more than the nearest rival. I mean a team slugging of .606 seems crazy even for a group of greats, especially pre-war only players. If you look at the standings, they have an unreal +115 run differential after only 27 games. With a lineup of almost entirely leftys, and Penmar showing the way, this team is not even in the same league as the other teams they are competing against. I'm sorry, but this seems like gaming the system.

If this is working as intended, my apologies.

For what it's worth, that team also has played 2/3 of its games at home, and they're obviously built to maximize their park.. On the road, they are slugging below .500. As the schedule balances out, their stats should normalize relative to the league (though it's still a strong offensive team).

george barnard

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 12:42 pm

overwatch --

welcome! Good points being made here (the SOM player is inherently a decent and generous sort of guy, generous in his opinions, even if it means being beaten by a newbie -- be sure and check out the strategy thread, lots of good stuff there -- and even if no one wants to hear those opinions ;) ). Along with lower caps and subsets, you should also think about non-dh leagues: the addition of one more pretty decent hitter turns the lineup around faster, creating all sorts of havoc with your pitchers. Valen's point is well taken: the cream rises to the top in relative terms, even with era's in the stratosphere. Also keep your eye open for openings in long term franchise leagues.

Hope to see you in a league soon.

Bill

Overwatch009

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 3:48 pm

would you guys consider that HR production and run diff. a normal aberration, or is this just kind of a shrug and move on situation?

I still have faith my pitching will perform. Bender and Feller will knuckle down for sure!

We still have a few slots open for a Deadball League! Check main ATG page!!!

Valen

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Your team numbers are right about where I would consider normal for a high cap ATG league. I usually target 5.00 as decent but play mostly 200 mil. But 100 and above think anything below 5 is acceptable.

Home runs allowed is always going to be high in higher cap leagues due to the number of home run hitters EVERY team can afford. Plus the high number of HR friendly parks high cap leagues often have, including your own home park which is 15 rated for RH hitters. And you have two HR friendly parks in your division. So all things considered I would be happy with your pitching so far.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 9:07 pm

welcome to SOM online, is the first thing that comes to mind.

i thought this team's starters got pretty close to their historicals, but none of them is Maddux or Randy Johnson or Old Pete

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/817096

the relief staff was not quite as close, but close enough. for the most part the hitters were pretty close too.

not sure I agree w/ tinkering w/ the (presumably) historical bp effects. although I too am bemused and a little bored by homerun derby - even my team linked here, I am slightly sheepish about Juniors 60 HRs, all i can say in my defense is Barry and the Babe had 80 apiece 5 guys besides Junior had 50+ and 11 more still had 40+

I think another poster hit it on the head - something to the effect of, the pitchers are facing lineups w/ as many as 6 .300 hitters...

change of subject - am I the only guy who thinks you have a lot of lefties and switch hitters, who will probably mostly bat lefty for a park that favors righty power over lefty power? So I am pretty impressed by your 6 straight wins at home in games 19-24, not trying to rain on your parade...

I wonder if a better idea might be a league w/ a limit on the BP effect HRs of the parks- no park with a BP HR effect above a certain #, say 10
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats