Hitting vs Pitching; where is the strat?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Valen

Re: Hitting vs Pitching; where is the strat?

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Straether makes some good points. In addition to the advice of sticking to 200x and low cap leagues I would add one more item as food for thought.

In ATG where you have HOFers going against HOFers and pitchers facing allstar lineups try to shift your focus from absolute reproduction of numbers to relative reproduction. In other words Bender or whomever may not approach their real life ERA. But if you look at how they perform in various given leagues compared with lesser pitchers you will be happier. In other words the best pitchers while missing their real life marks in general will be among league leaders in relevant categories. If you can change your mindset/expectations you will have a lot more fun.

Second thing I might add is if you want to see pitching shine pick an extreme pitcher park. Shibe park with that 1-15 HR rating is going to cause any pitcher to give up some home runs.

Third thing if you continue playing each league is different. With so many parks to choose from in ATG you never know from one league to the next what the makeup will be. So important to take a look at that among the first things you do following a draft. I usually hit the roster page because it not only lists the rosters of all teams it provides all the parks used in a single page. Some leagues you will join and there will be a ton of righty parks, some a ton of lefty, some lots of bomber parks, and some with a lot of small ball parks. Each league is different. And it often goes in trends. As people see leagues with lots of bomber parks some will counter by playing in pitcher parks to contrast and maximize their home field advantage leading to leagues full of pitcher parks. If you become a regular part of the game is going to be predicting the trend.

Overwatch009

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 12:45 pm

More good information, thanks. Really, I am ok with how my hitters have perfomed. My pitching has been up and down but I'm sure it will normalize in the future.

I really made this post because a few teams in my league have many guys on pace to double their card HR production and that just seemed really out of place. I also expected pitching stats to be inflated from facing dangerous hitters every batter. The flip side is expecting hitters performance to be surpressed markedly when facing a top 10 single season era pitcher but haven't really seen much of that. Granted my experience is small at this point.

In my mind I would imagine that in a matchup of greats, the hitters stats would come down more then the pitchers would go up. I'm basing that of 30+ years of watching baseball and countless simed seasons across different sims, which is purely anecdotal. Maybe the hitter/pitcher card dynamic makes it break more favorably for hitters.

That being said I am still having fun and happy with my team. I wanted Speaker and Bender and I got both, so things are working out. I was more commenting on the crazy HR rate than anything else. A few teams are using the one handedness raker stategy to great effect causing really insane run differentials. Maybe they will slump and it will even out.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 2:36 pm

If you want realistic league batting averages and E.R.A.s the All Time Greats game is not for you! Did you really expect lineups full of all time great players versus the best pitchers to produce realistic stats? That would not be realistic.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Math!

Overwatch009

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:Math!

Thanks for the input.

I would counter your argument with "dice rolls!" and "RNG wonkiness!"

Like I said, still having fun, just noticed HR rate aberrations and wanted some input from veteran players.

STEVE F

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 3:13 pm

I remember Radagast saying something like $70m is about what an "average" team would be. So even at $80m the lineups are going to be very strong and pitching stats will be hard to duplicate. I tried this strategy in an $80m and while it's working great, even at this level Koufax has ERA well over 3

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1384047

The most interesting stat about this team is they are DEAD LAST in runs scored, but still lead the league in run differential

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... ams/424596

Overwatch009

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 3:22 pm

STEVE F wrote:I remember Radagast saying something like $70m is about what an "average" team would be. So even at $80m the lineups are going to be very strong and pitching stats will be hard to duplicate. I tried this strategy in an $80m and while it's working great, even at this level Koufax has ERA well over 3

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1384047

The most interesting stat about this team is they are DEAD LAST in runs scored, but still lead the league in run differential

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... ams/424596

Yes, I think being in a lower payroll league is where I need to be, preferably with out DH. Btw, that's a great rotation you got there.

I've realized this is a dice game and just had preconceptions about it's statistical accuracy that where wrong due to the article that exposed me to SOM. I was coming from a very high standard being an avid OOTP player. Now that I get that part of it I'm fine with the game, just needed some explaining to get me there.

andycummings65

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 3:32 pm

I do wish that, just for online ATG, BP HR ratings for parks would be cut in half. Make Polo41 0-10, 0-10. Make Fenway67 20-8, 18-10. Make Turner 8-4, 8-4. etc..........

But since they are not, when I play Polo, I'm gonna load up on bombers, because that's how the game is currently constructed.

Overwatch009

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 4:04 pm

andycummings65 wrote:when I play Polo, I'm gonna load up on bombers, because that's how the game is currently constructed.

That is the reality I am now aware of.

80s mystery deck $60~80M heavy pitching will be my next team and I look forward to seeing how it works out.Thanks to everyone who pitched in with advice and thoughts.

lanier64

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Ther are almost 700 players in the deadball set so we could have a deadball league if anyone is interested. Each of the 16 original teams has 26 to 70 players and there are a few oddballs like Joe Kelly with the National League Baltimores. But they all have a db designation by their team so you could even easily do an auto draft and just drop any non db players in favor of db players. This used to be a sortable set for leagues and I think they got rid of it after ATG III or ATG IV but they kept the designations. I just wish you select a league for deadball only. The only problem would be Ruth 20 as the era is defined as 1920 and before. Well it was deadball for everyone except Ruth. So I think Ruth 20 would have to be excluded but you could use Ruth 16, the pitcher. Any how if there is any interest in a deadball league I'd be up for it.

Ed
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats