The Phenomenal Dale Murray

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gkhd11a

Re: The Phenomenal Dale Murray

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Post where Nev shows he took Dale Murray every opportunity for 57 straight teams from the time he was added to the player set.
nevdully's
Re: +302
PostTue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

PJ Axelsson wrote:
This is such an obvious team in a lefty park that it almost seems as common as a Dale Murray team in any league.

First this had me smiling and then it got me researching....Murray was added to ATG 6 on or about October 20th

He was on my first team drafted, it was a 100m Minute Maid team. (league started 10-24)

I then drafted him and got him at 20 on my next team a 200m cap

My next team was at 140m and I listed and got him at 16th

I then got him at various spots on every one of my next 9 teams before losing him on my next team listing him 7th

Got him on my next 4 200m teams.

Got him 11th on my next team at 100m

So far I drafted and got him 17 of 18 teams.

Also got him on my next team at 100m 2 more at 200m before losing him once at 200m

I then drafted and got him 31 of my next 34 teams at various caps and various spots including several at 80m listed around 20th He also went undrafted and unused in several 80m leagues.

So I guess it took awhile before he became such an obvious choice to the community.
Last edited by gkhd11a on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salty

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Charlie-

You are attempting to pick apart Nev's decision making process in the implementation of BPV2 but have supported every other decision and rule implementation SoM has made up to this point- all while not recognizing that Bernie was the one who had final say in all of those matters.

Since the RP rules and the Murray card bothers you, why not support those in the community who have countless times asked for a BP3 to come out?

Before I made assumptions about this, I figured to give you a chance to explain the dichotomy.

Salty

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Dale Murray was added in ATG 6 but BP2 came out 3 years earlier???

Is that correct???

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Nevdully posted on Dec 28, 2013 where he confirms HE had Bernie implement the logic to allow relief pitchers to stay in. Never mind the ridicuolos logic that batting for the 800th time is the same as pitching in your 400th inning.

Never said that was my logic, these were your words "loosely" based and out of context of what I said, used just to fit your narrow minded view of how things should be.

I do not "love" the Murray card, it is a mathematical expression of outcomes, It is obvious as you know if you get 300 innings from that card it is worth 10 million dollars in an 80 or 100 million dollar league, for you to claim otherwise is absurd

I never stated any opinion EVER on what he should cost, so where's the absurdity? Or is that just another inaccurate accusation you're making towards me?

And that begs the question, is it the *Super RP strategy itself you're against, or would it sit pretty with you if Murray and his ilk costs more? Or does none of this Dale Murray/Dale Carnegie stuff matter to you either way and you were once again trolling to smear me as you constantly do to several others as well?

and one last thing, well two, and perhaps one could help you to be a better player here...You say, wait let me quote it.... "now inferring that Ben Tincup is the same issue as Dale Murray is well, not very factual."

"Factual"???? Factual, as in "actuals" only, then, maybe you're correct, since this community does nothing if not follow each other around the same mulberry bush...and we read nothing but Murray, Murray, Murray so everybody fights to use him..But if one understood that in 80m Tincup at 2.79 and even McBean at 1.39 are both probably even more valuable given Murray costs 5.99 and both capable of upper 200 innings maybe you could see how someone might think they both sorta fall into that super rp catagory...I see The Last Druid using McBean more too now, so maybe between that and my recommendation here, McBean becomes the new Murray and they can either raise his price from 1.34 to 1.39 like they just did or maybe based on what you seem to think around what 5m...or maybe nothing because you don't think he and his ilk fall into this select "Murray" catagory

gkhd11a

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 5:24 pm

nevdully's wrote:

[i]I do not "love" the Murray card, it is a mathematical expression of outcomes, It is obvious as you know if you get 300 innings from that card it is worth 10 million dollars in an 80 or 100 million dollar league, for you to claim otherwise is absurd

I never stated any opinion EVER on what he should cost, so where's the absurdity?The obsurdity is you claiming you don't understand the fixation on Dale Murray when I am sure you know his value Or is that just another inaccurate accusation you're making towards me?
This is my opinion of Dale Murray, you said I loved him -- I view him a great value when you can get 300 innings out of him, if you were to now claim he is not worth 10 milliion with 300 innings in an 80 or 100 million league that is absurd, are you claiming he is not worth that value now? Or do you really believe Al McBean is worth 5 million dollars. This strategy is not as effective with any other reliever as it is with Murray, this is not to say this is the only way you can win,there are many interactions that effect the chances of winning. However I do believe once in the playoffs Dale Murray's value soars as he always has rest going into the series so he is good to go, and he is a beast on the pitchers card,

And that begs the question, is it the *Super RP strategy itself you're against, or would it sit pretty with you if Murray and his ilk costs more? Or does none of this Dale Murray/Dale Carnegie stuff matter to you either way and you were once again trolling to smear me as you constantly do to several others as well?
My point was to show that when you stated you could not understand the communities fixation with Dale Murray, it was you who had a fixation on him, because of his great value and so were being dishonest in your answer. I would prefer there not to be the super reliever role, but I am not that opposed because in the end I am just trying to get better value players on my team, whoever they are, under whatever rules exist. I do not ever try and get the rules changed myself, but I do believe I am free to comment on subjects that I believe I have some background knowledge of.
You stated you "cannot understand this communities fixation with Dale Murray. Yet you selected him the first 57 opportunities you had to try and get him, have you ever taken Al McBean 57 straight time?

and one last thing, well two, and perhaps one could help you to be a better player here...You say, wait let me quote it.... "now inferring that Ben Tincup is the same issue as Dale Murray is well, not very factual."

"Factual"???? Factual, as in "actuals" only, then, maybe you're correct, since this community does nothing if not follow each other around the same mulberry bush...and we read nothing but Murray, Murray, Murray so everybody fights to use him..But if one understood that in 80m Tincup at 2.79 and even McBean at 1.39 are both probably even more valuable given Murray costs 5.99 and both capable of upper 200 innings maybe you could see how someone might think they both sorta fall into that super rp catagory...I see The Last Druid using McBean more too now, so maybe between that and my recommendation here, McBean becomes the new Murray and they can either raise his price from 1.34 to 1.39 like they just did or maybe based on what you seem to think around what 5m...or maybe nothing because you don't think he and his ilk fall into this select "Murray" catagory
So your point in posting then actually was to get people to use Dale Murray less so he is available more?
Last edited by gkhd11a on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Last Druid

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Nev: I'm only seeing one side of this argument as I block Charlie the Chimp's posts. Much better that way. Otherwise too easy to get sucked into his black hole energy vortex. Suggest you do the same...
Last edited by The Last Druid on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 5:37 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Valen

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 5:38 pm

I agree 100% with this, but I don't see it happening as it would require a complete repricing

And what is wrong about repricing? Wasn't repricing a major part of what ATG8 was about? That is the only thing that happened other than some new cards and stadiums. The introduction of a new version which included repricing would have been the perfect time to make an adjustment. Sadly that window was missed.

As to the debate whether Nev manipulated Bernie to create an advantage with Murray or anyone else so he could take advantage... That is why I am generally opposed to a small number of players having too much influence. There is going to be the appearance of wrongdoing even if there is none. I do not see anything to be gained by trying to prove malpractice at this point.

So Nev used Murray on a bunch of teams when the card first became available. Even if it was 50 teams. Keep it in perspective. For Nev that is about 2 weeks worth of teams, especially during that time period. So not sure that proves anything. And even if it does that changes nothing about where we are or what should be done.

This is what happens when there are private discussions. This is why most government meetings are supposed to take place in a public setting. The real problem to me is the ongoing lack of communication with the whole community. Who cares how we got to where we are. The real questions should be where do we go next? That should be a discussion for the entire community and should be led by a rep from Strato here on these boards.

Instead of giving Nev grief about what his motives were let's discuss where we are. So Nev lobbied Bernie to allow a reliever to pitch in 3 straight games. The issue to me now is not whether he had ulterior motives but has allowing that accomplished what Nev thought it would? Should there be an adjustment made? I can see his point about it giving Hal more flexibility which the AI certainly needs. Is it possible to do that and be more realistic at the same time. Perhaps there should also be an inning component. If a reliever has pitched more than x innings in the last 2 games then he is fatigued for that third one. But if he has pitched less then maybe not.

Not sure what the solution is to either the super reliever or absurdity of Gates Brown being used 600 PAs. But we should be discussing the issues and not trying to prove anyone is/was evil.

nevdully's

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Valen wrote: If a reliever has pitched more than x innings in the last 2 games then he is fatigued for that third one. But if he has pitched less then maybe not.

That's Exactly how it was designed to work...Fatigued and possibly even unavailable.

Still if he pitches in 2 and rests 1 game each series he can get in over 100 games a season and at maybe 3 innings each there's the "problem" for some.

Valen

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 6:59 pm

That's Exactly how it was designed to work...Fatigued and possibly even unavailable.

So if I understand you right the real problem is the real problem is that it was misprogrammed. Early in my last season I watched Murray's usage closely and was surprised at how he never seemed to enter a game fatigued. So I do not think it is working as it was designed. Does not matter now because nobody has the ear of Strat.

You were in that league as well. We were both on the outside of that 6 team wildcard race. :cry:

Thinking now I might have been better off to trade Murray and use the expensive Sutter card. I assume that without Murray Sutter would have pitched 200+ effective innings. :D Really sad thing is I had intended to switch to the expensive Sutter but forgot to do so after clearing cap money to do so. :oops:

By the way if I have forgot to do so in the past let me say now thank you for sharing what you know on this.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats