The Phenomenal Dale Murray

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ScumbyJr

Re: The Phenomenal Dale Murray

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Valen wrote:
and you miss on Murray who do you target next?

Just about any reliever in the first page of relievers who is more than R2 as planned setup.
Just about any S/R who is in the top half of the relievers free agent page.

Murray is great, but there are many other options that are not that far behind. Getting Murray by no means guarantees a championship, especially if your entire strategy revolved around getting that one card.

Murray has excellent positives of course, but also some weakness. Example, too many "bad" outs especially against RHP. By that I mean outs that can advance runners like fly(B) and gb(c). That is why I do not like him as a closer.

nevdully's

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 9:48 pm

So Charlie instead of picking a dozen of the 1500 leagues I've been in....Can you simply and honestly answer this question?

Do you remember posting anything about my strategy of often using cheap SPs with a solid 3 man pen and your dislike of it's successful but unrealistic results?

gkhd11a

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 10:37 pm

nevdully's wrote:So Charlie instead of picking a dozen of the 1500 leagues I've been in....Can you simply and honestly answer this question?

Do you remember posting anything about my strategy of often using cheap SPs with a solid 3 man pen and your dislike of it's successful but unrealistic results?

You may have been in 1500 leagues, but I have not been anywhere close, I play 2-3 at one time.

I don't remember saying that but it sounds like something I believe to be true, it's very close to the 4 starters throwing one pitch with 3 ace relievers backing them up that I fear we will eventually have, so I do believe you that I stated that.

gkhd11a

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 10:50 pm

Valen wrote:
and you miss on Murray who do you target next?

Just about any reliever in the first page of relievers who is more than R2 as planned setup.
Just about any S/R who is in the top half of the relievers free agent page.

Murray is great, but there are many other options that are not that far behind. Getting Murray by no means guarantees a championship, especially if your entire strategy revolved around getting that one card.

This is very true, you can actually end up frittering away the bonus Murray provides if you don't have the right pieces for him. I would advise anyone to study a good managers teams with Dale Murray to learn how best to utilize him.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Let's settle this in a league, Gentlemen, like gentlemen.... Join the ATG8 "Who's The Best" 80 million /DH League... By the way, I did not create the league I just noticed it and jumped in. Three spots left~!
Last edited by Radagast Brown on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salty

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 12:03 am

djmacb wrote:
djmacb wrote:
The other issue you are seeing goes back from 10 years or so where apparently Nev has fairly consistently beaten Charlie and Im not entirely certain Charlie enjoys that.

Remind me what year Nev won the Barnstormers tournament? Was that before or after Charlie won it?

Errr ummm, whats Barnstormers got to do with the price of tea in china???

Errr ummm, I was responding to your cheap shot at Charlie concluding that this disagreement is due to jealousy of Nev's success. As a past Barnstormers champion, why would he be jealous? It wasn't that hard to follow.

Okay- so what conclusion would you draw about this exchange? OR have you bothered to read all of it?

mrgone1111

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 1:11 am

Dale is way wrong, he should not log these types of innings. It would be way more fun for ATG to make cards for each players best seven seasons so these guys go away. Also limit super reliever status to guys that averaged over 130 IP for all seven seasons. (Maybe not even than)

I would also like to see cards done for all teams best 27 players for all teams based on the players best seven seasons.

Still fun, but have not played in a while with credits.

Working on ATG 8 any advice, what's different?

Michael Grammes

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 8:26 am

"We did compete in a Mr LEo tournament
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/in ... rontoffice
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/410529
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/421356
He beat me in the finals of this MR Leo tournament
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/406010"

Jesus!! I wasn't even in my own invite tourney?

Was that the one that the manager with the worst record was booted, and "we" invited someone else to take their place?

Wow did we have some fun back in those days!!

I would love to maybe get something like that together again!!

Valen

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 9:49 pm

It would be way more fun for ATG to make cards for each players best seven seasons so these guys go away.

Not sure I would care for that in ATG. But it would make an interesting alternative game if they set it up using cards from the career historical set which are based on a player's career numbers.

Also limit super reliever status to guys that averaged over 130 IP for all seven seasons.

Not sure you would find many relievers in history who fit that criteria. Plus super reliever is not really an official role. It is just an unofficial name we give to relievers who pitch a large amount of innings. And let's face it almost any team that has a limited number of relievers is going to have someone who eats a lot of innings unless you go with a super SP strategy where 4 great starters are all set on slow hook.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 9:48 pm

The best way to limit Murray and others like him would be to make him a R2. I like Willie Hernandez' card, he is almost as good as Murray and a little less expensive. With the way the bullpen settings work no relief pitcher should be higher than a R3. But at least the rules are the same for everyone.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats