Coleman pinch run dissapointment

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Valen

Coleman pinch run dissapointment

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 11:39 am

I often use Coleman on my teams as a pinch runner.

Part of that is I like the stolen base. Part of it is Coleman is a favorite from back in the day. So like using him and at higher caps pinch runner is the only possible viable use.

But was looking a little closer on my current team. He has stolen 12 bases in 13 tries. :D
But looking over his last 10 games he was used as a starter 3 games and as first choice off bench as an injury replacement in another 3 games. Not exactly the role I envisioned in a 200 mil league. :cry:

So thinking even though could not ask for better SB success rate his presence on team may be hurting as much as helping. If he were not on team perhaps HAL would come up with a better replacement given I have Walker, Speaker, Mays, Stearnes, and Foster as OFers.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/353828

PATRICKCASSIDY

Re: Coleman pinch run dissapointment

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 pm

possibly, Coleman is the best fielder available at a position at point in time. like, he willl come in ahead of Foster in lf everytime since he is a 2 and 'game face' George is a 3 in left

same w/ Spoke and Walker, I think both of them have only 1 of position in their cards. I think you had the Willie w/ all 3 of positions., so if Coleman is coming in ahead of Willie, you deserve it because why isn't he playing? (KIDDING - if coleman is coming in ahead of Mays there is a flaw if not a bug. that should not happen. same w/ Stearnes.
Last edited by PATRICKCASSIDY on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valen

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 10:56 am

You are probably right on with your assessment. Of course Mays and Stearnes start every game.
Walker sits against pure lefties with Mays shifting to RF, Stearnes going from DH to LF and Foster assuming DH.

Does look like I have to live with Hal using Coleman as favored replacement or release him. Hate doing that because he is way up there on my list of favorites. I know managing with the heart and not the head not best winning strategy. :D But having my favorite players on my team is half the reason I play this game.

Thinking I could drop Coleman and pick up some infielder as pinch runner or just drop and not have anyone in that role.
But wondering if Hal does something even more undesirable than starting Coleman like throwing Dandridge out there or something forcing me to live with a 5 defensive OFer.

Musial6

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 11:09 am

If you hang on to Coleman, just pray that he's not attacked by the field tarp at some point and be out for the season!

Morpheus

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 1:51 pm

If you use backups in setting lineups, such as Foster backing up LF and then have a back up DH, HAL should follow the logic. In game injuries are always a crap shoot .. Same thing if you have 2nd catcher as DH, and primary catcher is injured, HAL will play a non rated player and keep 2nd catcher as DH unless listed as backup.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 1:19 pm

"I know managing with the heart and not the head not best winning strategy"

maybe, but if we can't play our favorite guys this this is just like work, no?

am playing a team of all Cubs of my memory now (well, I am using Hartnett at catcher because I did want some chance to win and I didn't think Jody or Hundley would get me there) and while they are in second they are about 2 light years out of 1st. I might not do it again, but I am having some fun with them.

fwmoiw

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats