Is there any way to win with pitching in this game?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

STEVE F

Re: Is there any way to win with pitching in this game?

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 11:28 pm

Nice to see that INSANE season by Pedro Martinez! At least proves it's doable!

tkl33

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 1:36 am

Still have 51 games to go but good so far. Dead last in hitting but era under 3. http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1381306

STEVE F

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 2:02 am

tkl33 wrote:Still have 51 games to go but good so far. Dead last in hitting but era under 3. http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1381306

Nice! This is the best one I've seen!

bkeat23

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 10:47 am

3.46 team ERA and enough hitting.
Cheap pitching....

Got sent packing in first round of playoffs. :twisted:

STEVE F

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 pm

bkeat23 wrote:3.46 team ERA and enough hitting.
Cheap pitching....

Got sent packing in first round of playoffs. :twisted:

Impressive. Nice stolen base totals! You never know what you're gonna see on here, I never thought I'd see Murray on a pitchers park team! Moret seems to pop up quite often though

Whoopycat

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Yes, you can win with pitching. However I'm not sure you can win with $40 million worth of SP in Petco with a bunch of cheap 1 fielders who can't get on base.

This is not my team, but a team I just faced in the playoffs that had 4 stud starters in Polo 41 with a whole slew of value platoons. Remember, Polo 41 is a pitchers park in its own way.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1125387

Sheikyerboudi

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 4:51 pm

You can, and I did - Wipeout 13, 60 mil.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1129400

Got hot at the end and won it all.

-The Sheik

lanier64

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Sheik,

What was The Babe's batting average and how many homers did he hit? Of was it a DH league? Just curious.

Ed

thaibill

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 7:49 pm

STEVE F wrote:I've tried balanced staffs, heavy money in starting pitching , and bullpen. Latest head scratcher is 24 games into a season and the new "unhittable" Gagne card has already blown 5 saves. I'm about to give up and go back to swinging for the fences.

This is not just a rant. I seriously want to know if anyone knows how to win with pitching. I've long believed that you can't but I still try from time to time. I've done it in 20 team keeper CDrom leagues, but even then only very rarely, and those teams were stacked!

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... ams/266733

The top two pitching teams met and went 7 games in the finals. You will also note that the top 5 teams in ERA also had the best 5 records. If you check the team leaderboards, more often than not, the teams with the best records will be at the top in terms of ERA. It is not relevant that it is under 4.00 or under 3.00, only that it is better than the rest. IMO this is much truer at about $110m or less. If you go the stud route in the lower caps, you will have a cheaper everyday lineup. Finding bargain everyday players, selecting the right park and defense are some of the essentials.

Especially at those caps it's not can you win with pitching, but you absolutely must have good relative pitching to win - IMO more often than not. My 5 baht worth 8-)

ScumbyJr

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 8:59 pm

thaibill wrote:
STEVE F wrote:I've tried balanced staffs, heavy money in starting pitching , and bullpen. Latest head scratcher is 24 games into a season and the new "unhittable" Gagne card has already blown 5 saves. I'm about to give up and go back to swinging for the fences.

This is not just a rant. I seriously want to know if anyone knows how to win with pitching. I've long believed that you can't but I still try from time to time. I've done it in 20 team keeper CDrom leagues, but even then only very rarely, and those teams were stacked!

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/le ... ams/266733

The top two pitching teams met and went 7 games in the finals. You will also note that the top 5 teams in ERA also had the best 5 records. If you check the team leaderboards, more often than not, the teams with the best records will be at the top in terms of ERA. It is not relevant that it is under 4.00 or under 3.00, only that it is better than the rest. IMO this is much truer at about $110m or less. If you go the stud route in the lower caps, you will have a cheaper everyday lineup. Finding bargain everyday players, selecting the right park and defense are some of the essentials.

Especially at those caps it's not can you win with pitching, but you absolutely must have good relative pitching to win - IMO more often than not. My 5 baht worth 8-)

RELATIVE is the key word. Each league is different
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats