Is there any way to win with pitching in this game?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

STEVE F

Re: Is there any way to win with pitching in this game?

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Salty wrote:Steve-
Im not seeing AT&T 2012 on the list????
OR is this not in ATG? are you talking 2XXX set?

Salty,
yeah this was a 2012 set team

visick

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 6:21 pm

"Rotation of four 20 game winners
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1380124"

It REALLY REALLY REALLY helps when you have 200 more rolls on your pitchers cards... just sayin... :roll:

rburgh

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:25 pm

I only wish that it was impossible to win with pitching at a $100 MM cap. Because if that were true, I'd have won the barnstormers last year.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1122757

It's not enough to have cheap hitters - you have to have the RIGHT cheap hitters.

lanier64

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm

I'll third Roosy's assertion. It's difficult but it can be done if you squeeze every bit of value out of your hitters and have great defense. There was guy quite awhile back who won a ring with pitching, speed and defense. I don't recall who was on his pitching staff but I remember he had a 1 at every position. Infact I think everyone on his bench was a 1. I know all of his starters were 1s. He had guys like the cheap Terry at 1b (value in the right situation, defense, hitting) but he also had guys like Devon White (I specifically rememberWhite) who couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag. It worked though. He must of put a lot of thought into his team. That much thought makes my head hurt. Does anyone remember this? His hitting was pretty light but his pitching and defense were phenomenal. A lot of 2-1 wins. Or if you are out there please chime in. It might have been as far back as ATG III V2 and Devon White was your center fielder.

ScumbyJr

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:05 pm

lanier64 wrote:I'll third Roosy's assertion. It's difficult but it can be done if you squeeze every bit of value out of your hitters and have great defense. There was guy quite awhile back who won a ring with pitching, speed and defense. I don't recall who was on his pitching staff but I remember he had a 1 at every position. Infact I think everyone on his bench was a 1. I know all of his starters were 1s. He had guys like the cheap Terry at 1b (value in the right situation, defense, hitting) but he also had guys like Devon White (I specifically rememberWhite) who couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag. It worked though. He must of put a lot of thought into his team. That much thought makes my head hurt. Does anyone remember this? His hitting was pretty light but his pitching and defense were phenomenal. A lot of 2-1 wins. Or if you are out there please chime in. It might have been as far back as ATG III V2 and Devon White was your center fielder.

What was the team era? I believe the actual question should be "can you win with pitching AND have a team era under 3.00". Plenty of owners have won with strong pitching, but the salaries in ATG are structured so hitting is relatively cheap compared to 20XX.

ScumbyJr

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 pm

rburgh wrote:I only wish that it was impossible to win with pitching at a $100 MM cap. Because if that were true, I'd have won the barnstormers last year.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1122757

It's not enough to have cheap hitters - you have to have the RIGHT cheap hitters.

Yet the team era was just under 4.00 so it doesn't qualify as winning with pitching. Apparently the era has to be under 3.00

STEVE F

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm

team ERA under 3? can't be done in Strat. What I'd really like to see is just once Koufax (or insert name of favorite stud starter here) have and ERA of 2.00 . Again, I don't think it can be done in this game

My $60m team that had a 3.57, well , that's a VERY good team ERA. Problem was, that was basically a 500 team because it couldn't score. I think you'd have to have around a $40m league for at $10m starter to really dominate

ScumbyJr

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:24 pm

STEVE F wrote:team ERA under 3? can't be done in Strat. What I'd really like to see is just once Koufax (or insert name of favorite stud starter here) have and ERA of 2.00 . Again, I don't think it can be done in this game

My $60m team that had a 3.57, well , that's a VERY good team ERA. Problem was, that was basically a 500 team because it couldn't score. I think you'd have to have around a $40m league for at $10m starter to really dominate

I totally agree with you. Does anyone have a sub 3.00 era team to share?

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:37 pm

The team rburgh is pointing to was the Championship winning team in the Barnstormers Tournament last year.

Its team ERA was 3.64 in a league where the average ERA was 5.05. That's almost 1.5 runs per game better than league, which is of course very good. Sub 3.00 ERAs aren't necessary when the league average is over 5 runs per game.

The team scored just 809 runs, which is 2nd worst in the league, but...

1) the team only allowed 642 runs, so it had a league leading run differential of +167 (the next best was +38).

2) Those 809 runs were scored in Petco, an extreme pitcher's park. The team scored 440 runs on the road--so it might have been good for 880 in a different park.

To score 809 runs, in that park, given how much the manager spent on pitching--well, that's the trick to winning with pitching in this game.

gkhd11a

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 11:12 pm

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1130054

Easier to win with pitching if it's cheap and value I think than if your hitters are cheap and value

I have given up wasting so much money on less likely to win teams by concentrating on scoring, this is about as much pitching as I have done in a few years, and I use to be exclusively pitching teams, just too many killer hitters.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/808063
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats